CHOCOLATE CHEX ENGINE

Started by Atariangamer, July 31, 2008, 03:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xbolt

LOL. That's great. ;D

The textures are on sectors that have a height of 0, so removing them doesn't make any visible changes.

Atariangamer

Hmm...I needs some screens...and what sectors are these things on?
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

xbolt

Atariangamer

Hmm...did you notice the texture SKY1? I wonder...

Manny Cav

I doubt using a sky box texture like that could do anything. E1M4: Arboretum does this in the large, circular room next to the room with the blue key without any problems.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

oh...I guess not.
Thats really odd. Hm...

ChexCommander

Woot! Wow, this is cool! I just did a speed run of CQ with Chocolate Doom/Chex! Awesome!

The thing is, the textures and sprites and stuff look a bit grainy.  It hurt my eyes to look at them.

Maybe I've just been using GZDoom so much I've forgotten how the originals look.  ;D
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

Yes! They really looked like that! lol
And they always have. And they still do, you just have different filters on the video to smooth it out...but is still pixely when you get up close.

ChexCommander

Well yeah, it's just that in the original it's not smoothed out.  But I guess I've forgotten.  ;D

GameMaster

this is awesome. dload as soon as i can.

for clarification, is the link the .deh or a different chocodoom altogether? i didnt quite understand :(

Atariangamer

Its an internal windows build of Chocolate DooM that auto loads Chex Compatiblity features and a chex.deh file that will fix most things. The reason he didn't really wanna hardcode an engine was the fact that it was never opensourced, and that it might be illegal. We could if we want.

And this is classic chex.exe. It can run all 3 chex quests, but someone have revealed the bug that caused the CQ2 crash. IDK how he found it, but the instrux are above.

arch129

I played the hole first Chex Quest, It was great!  ;D
Was this .deh supost to help the error when it crashes before E1M5, because that happened to me. :|

Yay! 200 Posts!
Now I'm a Chex Master!  ;D

Atariangamer

What error was that? The one that crashes when you come out of the hole? Someone described that above. I think its a DooM limitation (meaning with that door open, the amount of stuff in your view is too much for the engine to render, so it crashes). But, the whole point of this engine was to get it to act the exact same...and some noticed this in chex.exe thing.

the .deh was basically taking the object state tables extracted by fraggle and turning them into dehacked to get precise replications of flemoids. the only things hard coded were the autoloading of chex.deh, the skipping of the episode select, and the exit after 5 levels.

and the 200 posts, congrats! (I just never notice when I hit a milestone) :-|

Manny Cav

I think he's talking about the thing that commonly occurs with the scifience version on Doom Legacy, where it crashes after E1M4.

I'll probably wait until a full release is posted on Chocolate Doom homepage before I download this.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

Why? It's just Chex Quest, made to resemble the original.  There's nothing wrong with it.