CHOCOLATE CHEX ENGINE

Started by Atariangamer, July 31, 2008, 03:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atariangamer

I didn't get that...odd.

Immah check, just to make sure.

CHECK:
Nope, the crash after e1m4 is gone. This was clean.
The crash after comming out of the space behind the 2nd light to the left of the flembrane is true.

R_FindPlane: no more visplanes

Im not exactly sure what this is, but I shall find out. Its probably due to a great deal of things having to be drawn on screen.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

ChexCommander

"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Manny Cav

Quote from: ChexCommander on August 07, 2008, 11:08:38 AM
Why? It's just Chex Quest, made to resemble the original.  There's nothing wrong with it.
Why what? Are you asking why does it crash, or are you asking why am I waiting to download it?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

Read my above post, I explain it.
That error is a visplane overflow, when 128 different ceiling and floor surfaces (visplanes). Comming out of that area shows all of the caverns, the entrance, and what you're standing in. its pretty bad, just be careful when comming out of there.

And if you're the technical sort, heres why and how:
http://rome.ro/lee_killough/editing/visplane.shtml

Manny Cav

I'm waiting because... uh... because I'm waiting for an official release. It's a little hard to explain.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

Well, its already built, has bug fixes (since it was internal), was compiled by the author (no errors), is all fine. There is no reason not to. Also, I"m not exactly sure he will keep chex support in there. the package isn't that big...

GameMaster

Quote from: The Atariangamer of 1993 on August 06, 2008, 09:30:38 PM
Its an internal windows build of Chocolate DooM that auto loads Chex Compatiblity features and a chex.deh file that will fix most things. The reason he didn't really wanna hardcode an engine was the fact that it was never opensourced, and that it might be illegal. We could if we want.
dood, chex.exe was freeware. theres nothing illegal if its hardcoded.

Loremaster

Quote from: GameMaster on August 07, 2008, 08:16:33 PM
Quote from: The Atariangamer of 1993 on August 06, 2008, 09:30:38 PM
Its an internal windows build of Chocolate DooM that auto loads Chex Compatiblity features and a chex.deh file that will fix most things. The reason he didn't really wanna hardcode an engine was the fact that it was never opensourced, and that it might be illegal. We could if we want.
dood, chex.exe was freeware. theres nothing illegal if its hardcoded.

That just means it is legal to DISTRIBUTE, not reverse engineer and rewrite. For that to be legal, the source code would have to be released, or have the permission of whoever owns the rights to the program.
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Atariangamer

Gosh...who would that be? If I could get permission, I might be able to get fraggle to help me hard code the bits...or, as i said earlier, we could do this ourselves. I just need someone who can compile the thing!
I got Microsoft VB 2008 Express, but I dont know how to install the SDL libraries (i'm guessing its sound) or compile the code. If I could get that, then I would be able to mess with it some and get stuff goin. What would be necessary:
-The ammo drop code removed
-the flemoid behavior corrected
-the level/episode situation fixed
-the cheats replaced
-the strings replaced

Manny Cav

Don't forget that the baron of hell would need to be "glued".
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

GameMaster

hold on.......doom.exe source code was released....
and chex.exe is derived from doom.exe, so doesnt that make it free code?

Atariangamer

I would think so. The only thing I'd worry about is the Chex name all over everything. Also, the company that made Strife went outta buisness w/o opensourcing it...and lookie here! Many systems are emulating it.

The only problem would be the fact that we have only one person who can code, and he wants a GZDooM port, not a Chocolate Doom port...

Loremaster

Quote from: GameMaster on August 07, 2008, 11:06:00 PM
hold on.......doom.exe source code was released....
and chex.exe is derived from doom.exe, so doesnt that make it free code?

No, because it is different code. For example: The code for Medal of Honor: Allied Assault is a modified form of Quake 3 code. However, just because Quake 3 becomes open source does NOT mean that Medal of Honor: Allied Assault was released.

This is called "Engine Licensing". Essentially, rather than code from scratch, a development company will purchase the right to use an existing engine, and modify it to suit their purposes. Chex Quest uses a modified DooM engine, so even though DooM is open source Chex Quest does not become open source by association because it is different.

Software legalities are very crazy weird.
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Manny Cav

Perhaps I will start another Chex Quest staff crusade, this time, to get the source code released. :D However, I should probably take these crusades one at a time....
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010