CHOCOLATE CHEX ENGINE

Started by Atariangamer, July 31, 2008, 03:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atariangamer

Over the course of a week, Fraggle and I have been going back and forth to create a Chex Quest mode in Chocolate DooM.
He finally got it all worked out (I think), and is asking for people to test it and give feedback...His topic:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=733815#post733815
Windows build of the engine:
http://www.soulsphere.org/chocolate-chex.zip
Go to it ! and if you have an account on doomworld, go post there!
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

xbolt

Batmanifestdestiny

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!

Atariangamer

But doom wire...is not. We were trying to link up for a CQ coop game on it, but since the setup hasn't been coded to recognize chex.wad, we couldn't use the easy launchers...then doomwire had a 'showstopping' bug with its players list that prevented us from even getting started.

but the port is cool...I'm thinking about reworking chex2.wad so that maybe it wont crash, and will be smaller...

Manny Cav

Is this a new engine altogether? What I think would be even better is if the original Chocolate Doom were updated to include a different play mode for Chex Quest if chex.wad is being used as the IWAD. This way, there wouldn't have to be a separate Chocolate Chex, and the original Chocolate Doom could be easily used to play either Chex Quest or Doom whatever.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

Thats EXACTLY what this is! Its chocolate doom and a .deh patch that will enable this release of Chocolate Doom to play chex.wad to the letter...And that link to the .zip above now links to an updated release...xbolt found some errors, and went through and posted them.

I'm thinking of making a hardcoded version of this, tho...I'm getting tired of DEHACKED and all that. Patches are good, but I'd rather have two things: an exe and a wad. With chocolate-doom, this isn't very possible (due to the SDL libraries), but maybe if we found another port (something Boom compatible), with the data fraggle gave me, we could do this precisely as well. If I could get a compiler to build something like prBoom or something, I could edit the info and english code...

mob720

Weird... I don't remember there ever being a demo of the 5th level. ???
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

Manny Cav

Huh. The Chocolate Doom website still points to the older release. Is this a pre-release thing or something?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

mob720

I got an error in the caverns at the last part of the map coming out of one of the secret area places marked by a lamp on the wall.

R_DrawPlanes: visplane overflow (620951875)

I think this was also an error in the original CQ, cause I remember coming out of one of the secret area things and the game crashed.
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

Manny Cav

Ah, yes. Ye olde visplane error. That be one of the functions of Chocolate Doom, to preserve all of Doom's bugs and limitations.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

Hmm...is it a visplane error that causes CQ2 to crash on the red door bug? Or is it bad nodes?
...If its nodes, i'm rebuilding CQ2 starting tomorrow. If its visplane...mebe make the room smaller?
OH! to use CQ2, make a batch file and use the command:

chocolate-doom -iwad chex.wad -merge chex2.wad -deh chex.deh
(NOTE: with the latest version, you can leave off the -deh command...its auto loaded)

And yes, manny, this is a special release. IDK if this will actually be included in a major release, but it would be cool if fraggle kept it.

xbolt

Quote from: The Atariangamer of 1993 on August 01, 2008, 11:43:57 PM
Hmm...is it a visplane error that causes CQ2 to crash on the red door bug? Or is it bad nodes?
...If its nodes, i'm rebuilding CQ2 starting tomorrow. If its visplane...mebe make the room smaller?

It's not a visplane error, or a node error. I don't know what it is. I've already asked about that in the thread on Doomworld, here.

Entryway fixed it by removing the front middle texture from linedefs 373, 359, and 371. I don't know why those particular ones cause trouble, but I just tried removing them, and sure enough, it didn't crash.

Atariangamer

O_o? Thats...odd...Why on earth does that happen, and how did he know what to do?

xbolt

That's what I intend to find out.

Atariangamer

"Join xbolt on his epic quest to find out why front-middle 373, 359, and 371 crash the greatest game of all time...he will face many ???'s and 'Whats CQ?'s on his journey, but he will not stop...till he finds...

The Secret of the Red Door

Weekends at 5 on the The DooM Channel (Playit, editit, LIVEIT)

But thats reallly strange...But what linedefs are those? And if we remove the front middle, wont there be nothing there? OR are we seeing a doublesided linedef with a texture on the outside of the map? Or since its a middle texture...maybe its crashing because we're seeing outside the map?