Bugs In Chex Quest 3

Started by arch129, September 08, 2008, 11:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Green Avenger

Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

Manny Cav

There are a few things still present. For one, the yellow flemkey still seems to flash out of phase with the other flemkeys. For example, the blue and red flemkeys start out dark, then get bright for the second frame. The yellow flemkey starts out bright then goes dark for the second frame. Was this intentional, or should it be like the rest, instead?

Second, why do the Propulsor shots make the LAZ Device explosion sound upon impact instead of the standard Propulsor impact sound?

Third, I noticed that you removed the infighting, as well as Flemoids causing any sort of damage to each other. Good thing. However, the Flem Mines still cause damage to each other and to other Flemoids when they're charging, even if they don't deliberately target each other. They will eventually zorch each other and other Flemoids. This is likely because a charging lost soul is considered to be a type of projectile. Can this be fixed?

Fourth, the text is still erroneous in places. For example, when you pick up a Large Zorcher Pack, it says, "Picked up 20 large zorcher recharges." This is erroneous in Easy Does It and Super Slimey difficulties, because you actually get 40, not 20. If it would help you, I could get you a list of the exact original Chex Quest text strings from chex.exe.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

redbipedicus

I just can't seem to get through the 3rd Level. There's even a part where you can get trapped on the balcony area, because the door that led there locked when it closes behind you, giving you no choice but to reset or load a save file. What am I doing wrong?

arch129

Quote from: redbipedicus on September 13, 2008, 01:25:10 AM
I just can't seem to get through the 3rd Level. There's even a part where you can get trapped on the balcony area, because the door that led there locked when it closes behind you, giving you no choice but to reset or load a save file. What am I doing wrong?

Uhh, jump?

Goldfish

I don't know all the technical names for the rooms and such, and I seriously need to play again, but I noticed two things that aren't exactly bugs. These are just random things I noticed.

Right before you enter the door that says Chex Metro and are really close to ending the level, if you jump over the rail to the left you fall into a pit that you can't jump out of. I was goofing off...  ;D

In one level (Which I plan on going through and pinpointing where) I found a blood mark on the wall. It was in the final level and was on the wall behind one of those gooey-light thingys. I'll go find it again and get a picture if anyone likes. I thought it was an easter egg when I found it.  ;)
Icon: Courtesy of Rushnerd. (Thanks!)
I am a Super Goldfish! I can remember my own name for 10 minutes! Much better than only 5 minutes.

redbipedicus

Quote from: arch129 on September 13, 2008, 01:57:00 AM
Quote from: redbipedicus on September 13, 2008, 01:25:10 AM

Uhh, jump?

how do i jump???!!!one!!?!!?

Seriously, though, how do you jump? I don't know what key to press, lol.

The Green Avenger

Set a jump control in your options.
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

Chukker

New build is up, with most of these new ones corrected. The flem mine thing was tricky and required a new exe. It wasn't that it turned into a projectile as it was using a "slam" attack. This attack had to be changed from melee damage to flem damage. Hopefully that won't have any repercussions elsewhere.

mob720

Quote from: The Green Avenger on September 13, 2008, 02:25:10 AM
Set a jump control in your options.

It's weird though, because if you screw around with jumping on other levels, you can do weird things and go different places. Take E3M1 for example. If you use jump, you can totally skip the red door section, which kinda makes me feel like I'm cheating... I think jump should be off (with the exception of E3M3 of course), because it would be like the original CQ. Chukker, could you make it so you don't have to jump off the balcony in E3M3, but instead make it lower or allow something so the player can step up off the ledge?
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

Replica

Personally I thought you were supposed to run back through that door before it closes. I always ended up jumping though.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Manny Cav

I downloaded the latest version off of your website, but the Flem Mines ramming still seem to cause damage to each other and to other Flemoids. The yellow flemkey thing is also not fixed. Was that intentional or not?

It seems that in E2M1, you altered the path to the hidden elevator to the red key near the start some. I can't get the elevator to activate, and I can no longer pass through the window-thingamajig that the red key is by.

Finally, do you plan on remaking the Chex Quest 2 intermission screen to look more like the new Chex Quest 2 sky box?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Captain Ventris

Quote from: EnjayI'm not a member of the Chex forum, but I know a few people here are, so perhaps someone could raise this over there.  I was just playing Episode 3 and I noticed that on map E3M2 there are 3 key doors (one for each colour) however, they are not set up properly and all of them can be opened without a key which makes the level somewhat shorter than it is meant to be.

This affects the original version that was posted and Graf's newer fixed version (including the one with the fixed lockdefs).

On a quick check, the lines seem to have been given the door/key type (13) but the arg that specifies which key is needed has been left blank.  I don't know if this mistake has been made on any other levels.  Certainly I found doors on E3M1 and E3M3 that were set up correctly.

From the ZDoom Forums.

EDIT: Hey! The Propulsor explosions hurt you in the latest version! It isn't supposed to do that anymore!

EDIT 2:

Quote from: EnjayIn E3M3 right by the exit line there is a nasty unclosed sector which causes flat-bleeding and looks ugly.

In E3M5 line 508 opens a door but it is only single use.  It needs to be repeatable or else you can get stuck in that room.
Also in E3M5, lines 264, 267 and 268 activate a raising lift.  When the lift rises, these lines need a lower tex, but they don't have one so you see a big HOM if you step off the lift.

Can someone please pass these messages along to the Chex forum so that the revised edition is released as bug free as possible?

Manny Cav

The Propulsor thing doesn't happen to me. Also, the HOM on E3M5 has already been fixed in the latest version released at http://www.chucktropolis.com/gamers.htm
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Graf Zahl

Isn't that still the custom-EXE in there that will cause all sorts of problems? Wouldn't it make sense to dump this and use the version that is compatible with regular ZDoom?

Manny Cav

I'm actually waiting for Chukker himself to re-release this in a form that doesn't rely on a custom engine and is ZDoom/GZDoom/Skulltag compatible. It gets a little confusing when other people mess with mods like this and release external patches and changes that can cause confusion from the original version.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010