Bugs In Chex Quest 3

Started by arch129, September 08, 2008, 11:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blzut3

I downloaded the latest CQ3 build as of this writing and compiled the latest SVN build of ZDoom.  While playing the first two episodes I've noticed the following.

E1M4
(983, -1003, 40) Missing floor texture.

E2M2
(-8816, -5073, -105) Vent is almost entirely missing textures

E2M3
(1360, -508, 320) Floor and ceiling are missing textures.

E2M4
Just about every floor/ceiling texture is missing

Chukker

Yikes, this sounds bad. I will take a look when I get home tonight.
Edit - these are now fixed.

Blzut3

E3M1
(-3352, 542, 370) ceiling

E3M3 I think I can't remember and I forgot to label.
(2778, -1675, 15) floor

Also, while playing a 2 player co-op, I've noticed that there is a lack of ammo on all levels.  You should add some multiplayer ammo so 1/2 of the time isn't spent with melee attacks.

Enjay

Hi there, just downloaded the most recent build.  Glad to see that the gameplay has been tidied up nicely.  My only beef is that there are a few places where secrets need to be found to progress - something I personally don't like building into a level.  However, that's clearly a design decision and, to be fair, most of the places where it happens, the secret is either pretty obvious or it is obvious that there should be something extra to find (eg needing to get a key to get into an apparently blank room means there must be something else hidden in the room).

Thanks very much for a mention in the text file too. 

Seeing as how there has been mention of missing textures, I thought I'd simply go through the maps using the console and capture the console output.  It doesn't say which sectors are missing textures but it does tell you which textures are missing and how many times per level.  I haven't checked but presumably these textures have managed to get themselves deleted from the WAD somehow.  If that's the case, the simplest fix would obviously be to stick them back in the WAD.  Anyway, here's the console output:

/////////////////////////////////////////
]map e1m1
e1m1 - Landing Zone

ACS scripts unloaded.
Unknown texture: "FLAT18"

]map e1m2
e1m2 - Storage Facility

ACS scripts unloaded.
Unknown texture: "DEM1_5"

]map e1m3
e1m3 - Laboratory

ACS scripts unloaded.
Unknown texture: "FLOOR4_8"

]map e1m4
e1m4 - Arboretum

ACS scripts unloaded.
Unknown texture: "FLOOR4_6"
Unknown texture: "FLAT10"

]map e1m5
e1m5 - Caverns of Bazoik

ACS scripts unloaded.

]map e2m1
e2m1 - Spaceport

ACS scripts unloaded.

]map e2m2
e2m2 - Cinema

ACS scripts unloaded.

]map e2m3
e2m3 - Chex Museum

ACS scripts unloaded.
Unknown texture: "FLOOR1_6"

]map e2m4
e2m4 - City Streets

ACS scripts unloaded.
Unknown texture: "CONS1_1"
Unknown texture: "CEIL5_2"
Unknown texture: "CEIL5_2"
Unknown texture: "FLOOR0_7"
Unknown texture: "DEM1_6"

]map e2m5
e2m5 - Sewer System

]map e3m1
e3m1 - Central Command

Unknown texture: "FLOOR6_2"
Unknown texture: "FLOOR6_2"

]map e3m2
e3m2 - United Cereals

ACS scripts unloaded.
Unknown texture: "FLAT5_3"

]map e3m3
e3m3 - Villa Chex

]map e3m4
e3m4 - Provincial Park

ACS scripts unloaded.

]map e3m5
e3m5 - Meteor Spacecraft
/////////////////////////////////////////

So, I reckon that makes it these entries that are missing:

FLAT18
DEM1_5
FLOOR4_8
FLOOR4_6
FLAT10
FLOOR1_6
CONS1_1
CEIL5_2
FLOOR0_7
DEM1_6
FLOOR6_2
FLAT5_3

Looking at those names, they are all flats (Doom floor/ceiling graphics)

Also, I think it has been mentioned before but the yellow flem key gives the wrong message when it is picked up.  I suspect this will be a typo in the lockdefs lump.

Chukker

Yeah, I was cleaning out the dozens of featureless grey flats in the wad and slowly replacing them with something better. I will get these missing ones addressed shortly.

Manny Cav

I was toying around with Chex Quest 3 trying to extrapolate information, and I came across a few other things. The "joelkoenigs" cheat doesn't work properly, and the "kimhyers" cheat still references "idmypos."

Also, while I'm at it, how, exactly, did you change the cheat codes? (You can probably figure out what I was messing around with at this point. :D)
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Chukker

It's changed in the source in st_stuff.cpp

Manny Cav

Oh. So, it can't be changed externally, like in a PWAD or something?

Also, I noticed that the "mikekoenigs" and "scottholman" cheats were reversed from the original game. The "sherrill/iddt" cheat didn't seem to work, either.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Enjay

There is no mechanism for changing cheat codes in Zdoom unless you actually alter the source.  Even the old method of using dehacked has been disabled by popular request.  Well, actually, there was initially a bug that stopped it working, but fixing it was potentially problematic and the general consensus was that cheat changing was more of a pain than a benefit so it wasn't reinstated.

Atariangamer

...well, couldn't you make a script or two that will sense for the right words and enable the modes accordingly? (pardon me if thats just dumb)
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Zorchdude

With the latest GZDooM, the Goggles don't work properly. They act like the original Power Visor instead of making everything look fullbright. This is unfortunate.
Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, BRAIN!
Narf.

Atariangamer

No, I think thats an option you can set...between just 255 lightlevel, and a green nightvision.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Enjay

Indeed.

options/display options/opengl options/enhanced night vision mode/off

As for scripts to do cheats - not really possible with ACS.  Using console aliases can approximate it, but it wouldn't work as well as a native cheat.

For info, with the latest development G and Zdooms, there is a CVAR "allcheats".  Set this to true at the console and all cheats from all Zdoom supported games will be available in all games - just in case you can remember god mode (or whatever) in Doom but not Hexen, for example.

arch129

Quote from: Zorchdude on October 05, 2008, 06:46:06 AM
With the latest GZDooM, the Goggles don't work properly. They act like the original Power Visor instead of making everything look fullbright. This is unfortunate.

Uggh, I really dislike how the goggles look when you use them. X(

Quote from: Enjay on October 05, 2008, 11:43:31 AM
options/display options/opengl options/enhanced night vision mode/off

Oh Ya! ^^

Pikazec2012

im not sure if this is were to post this but the CQ3 doom builder file wont work for me . instructions maybe on what to do.
I'm Pikazec2012 and this is my favorite site on the internet! (yes i know im 3 years behind on this meme)