THE SCIENCE OF CHEX QUEST!

Started by Zorchdude, February 01, 2008, 06:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atariangamer

Yay, my second ever +1! Ok...
Um...what else is in the CQ universe that actually has a science to it?
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Lucius

Well, the guy in the CQ intro zorches the baby flemoid along with the whole box that it was in. Interesting that you cant zorch objects in CQ. Lol imagine if you could zorch anything and it just disappears!

Manny Cav

Quote from: Lucius on February 05, 2008, 09:21:45 PM
Well, the guy in the CQ intro zorches the baby flemoid along with the whole box that it was in. Interesting that you cant zorch objects in CQ. Lol imagine if you could zorch anything and it just disappears!
A fairly common effect in video games, it seems, such as the Metroid games, where you can blow up a variety of objects and walls, but yet, some stuff won't move at all no matter how many times you blast it. It's just a programming limitation.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Loremaster

Aye. Though, with the newer engines, some objects do zorch [i.e., objects that would explode in DooM]

Hm, just to throw this out here, but how does their Armour work? [I have my theories, but let's hear y'alls.]
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Manny Cav

Uh... they block, reflect, absorb, etc., slime better? The explanation would also have to be in agreement and not conflict with those nifty cans on slime repellent, depending on how they work, as well. We must also not forget to discern between health and armor, and use the two together to make sense out of the Chex armor.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Loremaster

But HOW? C'mon, let's think like scientists/engineers!
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Manny Cav

You squeezed a post in after I edited. :D Anyway, I was thinking before that the armor could reflect a certain amount of slime, but the less it could reflect, the easier it is for it to absorb or gather slime on it. However, let's look at the fact that Chexter starts out with no armor and 100% health. That armor can't reflect the slime easily, so the slime clumps on the armor fairly easily. Cans of slime repellent add a layer of protection that help to block a little more slime for each application. However, the more that the layers of repellent protects against, the more the layers degrade, and the more slime that clumps on the armor. When the armor gets so bad off, the warrior can take that off and get new armor that's pre-made with layers of repellent added on it. But, if Chexter takes the armor off, then why is the slime still there? Perhaps the new armor is placed over the old armor. But it can't be that, either, since the HUD would still show slime on the armor. I'm running out of good explanations here. Help me out!
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Loremaster

The Theory of Armour
Loremaster

Armour in Chex Quest most likely works, not on a kinetic principle, but rather on a chemical principle. The tough fibrous weave is made of a substance that reacts with slime, giving off harmless, odorless, colourless gas. As this obviously depletes the armour, eventually holes will appear, usually very quickly. Slime that enters these holes will accumulate on the  warrior, damaging him. Slime repellent works on a similar principle, though it's chemical is weaker, but compatible with Chex Armour.

A note on health. It must be considered that health in excess of 100% represents extra energy that the warrior can use to clean slime off himself [explaining why no slime appears in the HUD]. However, once health drops below 100%, the warrior is devoting all his energy to simply surviving and carrying out such related actions [running, shooting, thinking], and cannot clear slime off himself. If armour that is discarded and replaced had holes allowing slime through which damaged the warrior below 100%, then such slime is not cleared off [explaining the HUD]

Make sense?

I regret nothing!

Atariangamer

Enough...Mine was (from the idea of it being cereal) that slime would soak through the original armor and hurt you, but the stronger armor could hold up some more, and the armor bonus was just like anti flem that could burn off flem.

Replica

Quote from: The Slimeinator on February 02, 2008, 11:43:25 AM
Quote from: Replica on February 02, 2008, 02:55:40 AM
The zorch doesn't teleport. It was like Manny said "recalibrating the phase frequency of our zorchers to match that of our transporters" there for, its wrong.

You have OBVIOUSLY Never, EVER watched the video intro to Chex Quest. Manny posted it on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQe_vLDglec

You have no idea how many times I've seen it. I dont think it was meant to "Teleport" untill it was recalibrated TO the frequency of the teleporter there for, it wouldn't have made sence to use zorch to teleport now would it?
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Manny Cav

The zorchers had to be calibrated to the phase frequency of their transporters. THEN, the zorchers "teleport" the Flemoids, perhaps as if they were hit by a transporter beam of their time, or like the weapons in this episode on Star Trek: The Next Generation. However, this implies that they did something else before, probably "harmful." They did say that "conventional" weapons had no effect on Flemoids. How could they know unless they tried "Conventional weapons" on Flemoids before?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Lucius

I think this is basically what replica is asking:

What were the zorchers meant to do before the phase was recalibrated to the frequency of the teleporters?

Also, we should turn this into a FAQ, where a critic or questioner of these things in CQ is asking questions and the answers are provided!

Atariangamer

I think they were like trash deleters...they would just ^ZAP^ all your trash away from your desk!

mob720

Hows about the science of the slime proof suits? Be sure to include how flemods can still slime the Chex Warrior.

BTW, I think Armour should be Armor, but I think either way would work (EEK! I'm turning into a GRAMMAR n***!!!)
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

Atariangamer

BUT YOU HHHHHHHAAAATTTTTTEEEE NNNNNNAAAAAAAZZZZZZZIIIIIII""""SSSSSSS!!!!!

O well. Its the british way of saying it. I have no possible clue as to how the slime proof suits can be posible unless...

It is made up of thick boots, and an armor weave mesh. This can disapate most still flem into its layers. However, when the slime is moving, the suit can't spread it thin enough to cancel its effects. It goes through and hits the warior...or something. Doctor Loremaster, uh, perhaps you could "shed some light" on the situation.