Chex Quest 3 Speedruns

Started by arch129, July 02, 2009, 06:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atariangamer

Still slightly choppy (no 30FPS to be found, just how many miliseconds between taking frames, and then how fast they should be played...after some tweaking, I got it to this smoothness...at least the audio syncs) but here is a playthrough that is slightly fast...did it on 3rd difficulty, wasd+mouse, freelook, and jumping. (this is not my best attempt at speedrunning, just a complete playthrough that had speed in mind. this is Episode 1:

thats my proof, heres my times:
E1M1: 0:30
E1M2: 1:36
E1M3: 2:28
E1M4: 1:25
E1M5: 0:36
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

The Green Avenger

(4 YEARS LATER)

I have been away a little while, so I don't recall exactrly but I THINK you were allowed to REZ topics in this subforum.  I'll just make a new one if it's a problem anyway.

At any rate, I just wanted to say that I've actually been watching some of the archives from Awesome Games Done Quick (Look it up, it's awesome), and one of their minor runs this year was of Chex Quest.  The runner gave me the idea to try single-segment speedruns of Chex Quest 3.  So far, I've been doing individual episode runs, but I believe that my best time for single segment CQ1 is a world record for a no glitch, no jump run.

My best times are:
Chex Quest 1 in 4:53 (Click for video)
Notes:
-0:00 - Playing on Easy Does It.  In theory, I think I could do it on Super Slimey.
-0:00 - Running diagonally for maximum speed.
-0:10 - Almost a flawless run through the lobby and landing pad.
-0:25 - Game time is 0:25, one second off a personal best for me (No video for that one).
-0:30 - Easy Does It changes the single segment route to skip the Supercharge.
-0:38 - This yellow key is easy to miss.
-0:57 - Shooting the Cycloptis keeps him from jamming the lift.
-1:08 - Flemoids activated the lift, saving me probably a full second.
-1:31 - Split for E1M2 is 1:06.  No major mistakes so far.
-1:32 - Spoke too soon; missing the plasma zorcher here should have killed the run...
-1:56 - Flemoids held the door for me to earn back a second.
-2:10 - Video dropped frames like crazy for some reason.
-2:26 - Another time-saving door.
-2:30 - Somehow managed the lab without running into a cabinet.
-2:37 - Made up for it by clipping two walls in a row.
-3:15 - Game-time reads 3:17; a 1:45 split for E1M3.  Hillariously, three-level time is better than the level par.
-3:28 - Stay in the middle of the lift; running against the wall gets me stuck.
-4:10 - Finished the maze with only a few wall problems.
-4:14 - Game timer reads 4:17; 1:00 level time on E1M4.
-4:20 - Switch to Propulsor for this level.  Only need it for one enemy, will use for two.
-4:28 - Take a shortcut.
-4:43 - Game.  That's a... 0:29 split for E1M5?
-Overall: Based on the frame loss and game time, I would be fine with adding 4-5 seconds to this time for accuracy's sake.  That's still under 4:50 total.  Some noteworthy route notes: There is one major trick in E1M1, and that is dealing with the Communus after the Red door.  Usually I'll try to zorch him on the run, but here the knockback was enough to clear a path by him.  How many times the Chex Guy grunts while running down the stairs in E1M2 is a good speed indicator, the less the better.  My best is three times.  We can skip the Plasma Zorcher until E1M3 because there's only one really crowded area in E1M2, and it occurs right after we get the Propulsor with no wasted time (Waiting for the lift to raise).  E1M3 is the hardest level because of cramped hallways and more flemoids than usual.  That's why I took the three-second hit to go back for the Plasma Zorcher.  Might have considered skipping if I had a large zorcher at that point (You'll note I don't get one until E1M5).  The maze route is easy; follow the left-side wall until it ends, go right through the transparent vines, then keep left.  The shortcut saves nearly a minute on E1M5.

Chex Quest 2 in 6:58 (Looking at the records on E2M1, I can apparently trim it to under 6:30.  Need to learn your route...)

I'm using a low-framerate java-based recorder, so it does drop frames.
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

The Green Avenger

E2M1 record on GoG.

This was inspired by watching a DooM speedrun, and seeing that some keys on pillars could be collected by running into the wall in a certain way.  Turns out, if you sprint fast enough and jump against the grate where the red key is, you can sometimes collect it through the wall.  It isn't a consistent technique at the moment, but at least it's at the beginning of a run, so I can keep retrying to get good CQ2 times.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

ChexCommander

"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Anonymous (ChexGuy331)

EDIT: Took a new route and shaved off a good 6 seconds. Here's a video:

I usually run "classic mode" which means I restrict myself by no freelook or jumping, but I do use the mouse.

mallo

Shouldn't someone update first post? I was speedrunning to be faster than others in most cases (Super Slimey with mini zorcher start), but now I see my times are awful. :(

Oh, and OCQFFSP.ZIP is broken.

Times:
[spoiler=Huge images!]

[/spoiler]

Atariangamer

@mallo: Hey! Arch isn't very frequent anymore, so updating that post wouldn't quite work.

Perhaps we create a new topic? Then one of the regular runners could keep it updated.

...Yeah, those original times weren't so good because nobody even contemplated it XD

Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Awesomedude249

Well, I've beat E1M5 in less than 3 minutes WITHOUT using the shortcut.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to