Author Topic: Old Digital Camera :D  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
Old Digital Camera :D
« on: September 17, 2010, 07:35:13 PM »

AOL PhotoCam Plus. Yes, I know, people say its a terrible camera. But its 640x480 resolution is PERFECT for me. That is the best resolution to attempt to make old style pictures from. So, I found it at my friend's house and he didn't want it, so I took it home, swapped the batteries, and took a few shots. Then I looked at the CF slot...its tiny...probably for an older version of CF than the one I have (from an iPod Mini). So I looked at the other ports...TV out, DC, Digital, and a USB port. Hmm. So I found this old USB 1.1 extender cable (only about 2 feet long), and I ripped the metal off one end to make a quick and dirty USB to USB adapter. It worked...I think. Windows 7 popped up that it was a USB controller TEST2.0, then quit because it couldn't find a driver. I moved over to my Vaio running XP and tried it with the drivers I had found, and it loaded, detected, and show up in device manager fine. But for some reason, it doesn't show up as a real camera in My Computer. Help file is lousy, only gives information on how to use a program that seemingly doesn't exist in the software package I could find. Says you need 98, so I'm about to head there next...Something about TWAIN software.

Anybody know anything about using an old camera like this?

UPDATE: Alright, more info that might just break me ><;

Its a Pretec DC-620 camera. has a single Type I CF card slot (so my Type II IBM drive is a no go). Other ports are TV out (something proprietary sized), DC 5V, "Digital" (which appears to be a 3 ring headphone jack that turned into Serial port), and a full size USB A port.

It appears under XP, only the serial connection works. So XP is a no go.
I tried to load it under My Win98Se laptop, and it installed fine, then when I plugged the USB cable in, it detected and installed the camera 'controller' fine. However, when I connect the USB after installation (or even directly after installation), it says the camera is Unavailable or not connected. I'm thinking the AOL version had a very special driver version...as well as the twain activation software. Who knows. I also noticed a very old linux discussion about gphoto, trying to find a driver combo that would work for the camera. It was left loose.

So unless I can figure out the USB driver problem, I either hafta find a Type I CF card, or I gotta wait till monday for the friend who gave this to me to get back and see if we can find the serial connector cable.

UPDATE 2: Wow...Archive.org to the rescue! Honestly, I thought I would get some bits and pieces to refer me to find a PDF or something, but most of the whole darn FAQ and USB stuff is all there! Perfect! Attempting to see if following these instructions helps me get this working...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:16:16 PM by Atariangamer »
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
Re: Old Digital Camera :D
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:40:03 PM »
Ok, more generic question:

How do I tell Windows 98 that the USB port is a port just like COM1, LPT1, and the IR COM? that currently is the only thing standing in the way. I have no windows 2000 computer to try this thing out on, either...though I'll betcha that'll work ><;

UPDATE: giving up on PC till someone answers, trying my iMac with the old drivers on the Wayback...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:56:30 PM by Atariangamer »
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting