Author Topic: Problem with WNDR3300  (Read 1847 times)

Offline mob720

• still alive
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 8
Problem with WNDR3300
« on: March 18, 2011, 10:01:49 PM »
So My father and I went and bought a new Netgear WNDR3300 Wireless router for Christmas and we had a lot of "fun" setting it up. The dang thing kept cutting it's internet out after a minute of use, while I am still able to connect to the router. I went online and looked up troubleshooting tips on how to fix it, and came across a diagram on downstreaming a wireless router from a wired one. I went ahead and did that, adjusted the DHCP server ip's and it worked. I was able to enjoy wireless internet without any problems.

So several months after that, here I am. My friend lent me this nice, big HP monitor that he hadn't used in years, so I set up my desktop in my room. Learning that one can successfully bridge a connection from one computer through another, I did just that. I connected my desktop to my laptop and set up a bridged connection between my laptop's LAN to Wireless adapter. I was very pleased when it worked. Now I could play online/browse the interwebs on my desktop without needing a wired connection from my room, which is what I did.

That was yesterday. Now I can't even hold a steady connection with the wireless router for over five minutes. I reset the router using the button thing and re-setup the wireless networking and ip configs. Nothing is working. Connecting the router directly to the wall doesn't work. Downstreaming the router doesn't work. Netgear is very stupid and put the router login access on the internet, so I can't access configs without having a connection between the router and the internet, which I don't. The older wired router works perfectly fine, a DLink DI-604. I'm beginning to think the router is very broken. I can get about a minute of internet use outta the thing before it stops sending internet traffic at all.

Can anyone help? I know it's a long read, but it's important to my situation.

No, I can't reset the DSL modem. I have Verizon FiOS broadband and it doesn't give me access to a modem.

I have not chatted with any representatives, but I am planning on doing that.

One more thing, we purchased the router "new." I use quotations because Fry's puts returned electronic items back on shelves if they deem them as working. When I opened the box I noticed one of the router stands missing. This "new" condition could be the issue, with the router perhaps being a malfunctioning unit.

I ask again, any help?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:03:27 PM by mob720 »
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

Offline mob720

• still alive
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 8
Re: Problem with WNDR3300
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 10:32:47 PM »
UPDATE:: Well I think I got it working again, after restarting the router several times it seems to hold it's wireless connection. I'm not sure if I want to lock the topic right here, since the problem might not be fixed. I will now try to bridge the LAN and wireless adapter on my laptop to give my desktop a connection. Will post.

My father said that Verizon could be the cause, right as the internet cut out our phone did for a while, too.

UPDATE:: Bridge successful so far. Windows noted an IP conflict on my desktop, I hope it sorted itself out. Upon checking my DHCP server IP list it has two blank IP hosts and two as my laptop, all with different IPs. Good so far.

UPDATE:: What good timing. Right when I make this topic, my problem fixes itself. Anyway, if anyone has a problem with their wireless router they can always try downstreaming it from one that works by connecting an ethernet cord from one router to the other, just don't use the WAN-in jack for either.

Strange, I thought the internet cut out for a second, then it came back online. Still, someone close this please.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 11:02:38 PM by mob720 »
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting