Where can I find vanilla compatible pwads?

Started by EmuLater, April 21, 2011, 09:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmuLater

Hello.

I'm on the hunt for any vanilla CQ, or vanilla Doom, compatible Chex Quest pwads. Does anyone know of any good ones?

Almost everything I found requires a specific source port to play.

I found this thread HERE, and I was wondering, does anyone have these archives?

- The New Chex Quest (Beta 6).zip
- The New Chex Quest 2 (Beta 5).zip
- Final Chex (Beta 6).zip

ChexCommander

I'm pretty sure Chex Quest Advanced is compatible with vanilla Chex, or something close to it (might be Chocolate DooM with the Dehacked patch?).
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

MajorSlime

Yeah, i'm pretty sure it works with just plain CQ (at least, the CQ3 engine [i believe thats what i played it on...])
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

arch129

Quote from: ChexCommander on April 21, 2011, 04:45:01 PM
I'm pretty sure Chex Quest Advanced is compatible with vanilla Chex, or something close to it (might be Chocolate DooM with the Dehacked patch?).

Technically it is an IWAD, but I think it can be used as a PWAD.

EmuLater

Quote from: ChexCommander

Okay, I tried this one. Good stuff. It's like a remix, with additions.

Quote from: ChexMaster2109
Yeah, i'm pretty sure it works with just plain CQ (at least, the CQ3 engine [i believe thats what i played it on...])

CQ 3 runs on the ZDoom engine. My favorite source port, but not what I'm looking for.

Quote from: arch129Technically it is an IWAD, but I think it can be used as a PWAD.

Yes, it looks like a standalone (albeit modified) Chex Quest iwad in XWE.

As to the beta pwads listed in the first post, I see Manny Cav is a member here. Does he not want these being redistributed? Besides the one mod mentioned in this thread (and it's one level addon), they seem to be the only other vanilla pwads for CQ.

ChexCommander

Quote from: EmuLater on April 23, 2011, 07:28:19 PM
Quote from: ChexCommander

Okay, I tried this one. Good stuff. It's like a remix, with additions.

Quote from: ChexMaster2109

CQ 3 runs on the ZDoom engine. My favorite source port, but not what I'm looking for.

Quote from: arch129Technically it is an IWAD, but I think it can be used as a PWAD.

Yes, it looks like a standalone (albeit modified) Chex Quest iwad in XWE.

As to the beta pwads listed in the first post, I see Manny Cav is a member here. Does he not want these being redistributed? Besides the one mod mentioned in this thread (and it's one level addon), they seem to be the only other vanilla pwads for CQ.

Oh man, TNCQ and Final Chex haven't been distributed for years. Manny Cav didn't want them around any more, though I forget the reason, be it copyright or otherwise. Some people may still have the WADs, but you'd be hard pressed to find more plain vanilla PWADs for CQ on here, as far as I know. The old CQ boards on Invisionfree and gallery.xboltz.net may have what you're looking for, though.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

noob1234

There IS vanillavasion... but it's only one level as of right now (and it's a PWAD for CQ advanced.)

EmuLater

So all I seem to be able to find is...

- Chex Quest Adventure (All levels, remix)
-- Vanillavasion (cqad 1 level addon)
- The Ultimate Chex Quest: Phase 1 (Chex 1 & 2 merged)

Don't get me wrong, they're cool, but there's little to no new content.

I take it that converting CQ3 to vanilla (+ dehacked) would be a monumental undertaking?

Atariangamer

@EmuLater:

Yes, pretty extremely. You'd also have to rework entire map sections that rely on the fake floor object (as I'm pretty sure vanilla won't allow that kind of action).
ZDooM (which CQ3 is based on) uses something called DECORATE as a way to easily create entirely new objects. DEHACKED just changes the properties of already existing objects. Boingo, who created TUCQ, was pretty good at DECORATE for making a multitude of different type objects, but something like CQ3, while not out of the question, would be extremely hard to do, probably taking months just to iron it all out.

And then, the vanilla engine has its vanilla limits, that even some parts in the original games can break. CQ3 was developed for a limitremoving engine, so some of the maps would have to be seriously changed to make it run better.

The lack of interest in Vanilla and lack of content is a limit of vanilla itself. There's little to no expansion-ability. Legacy and ZDooM provide major expansion while maintaining the ability to be classic. So...yeah.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

EmuLater

Okay. It's just a tad disappointing that's all there is for pwads.  :-[

ZDoom has ports to these systems -> PC, Mac.

On the other hand, Vanilla Doom (w/dehacked), or even PrBoom, has these -> PSP, NDS, GPX32, Cellphones, iPods, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, Wii, PC, Mac, etc...

Atariangamer

ZDooM is also on Linux. I think its just limited by its required packages or what not to certain systems.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.