One Ammo Type?

Started by arch129, June 03, 2011, 02:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should all zorchers in CQTLQ use one type of zorch?

Yes
0 (0%)
Sounds intresting
1 (16.7%)
IDK
0 (0%)
I'm not sure if I like the idea
0 (0%)
No. Just no.
3 (50%)
I like having fewer types of ammo instead
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

arch129

I'm considering making all the zorchers in CQTLQ use a single 'type' of zorch ammo. I like simplicity, having a type of zorch for each type of zorcher makes balancing and organizing ammo a mess.  

I might consider at least having fewer types of ammo such as 2 or 3 instead of 6 to 8.

MajorSlime

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. I'm all for having, say, all rocket like weapons using propulsor ammo, but I don't like one single type of ammo for every single zorcher (i.e. ammo would just be "zorch" instead of "phasing zorch"), if thats what your saying.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

arch129

Quote from: ChexMaster2109 on June 03, 2011, 03:05:06 AM
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. I'm all for having, say, all rocket like weapons using propulsor ammo, but I don't like one single type of ammo for every single zorcher (i.e. ammo would just be "zorch" instead of "phasing zorch"), if thats what your saying.

I am thinking about the same type of ammo for every zorcher.  They all use zorch, but I'm wondering what is the real difference between the current zorch ammo types. (besides the propulsor as it seems too be more explosive)

MajorSlime

There isn't much, especially between the shotgun ammo and the normal ammo, but thats not the point. It was made that way for the game mechanics. You change that, and your going to screw alot up. I don't know, though, maybe you can get it to work. Personally, though, i really don't like the idea.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

Have you played Wolfenstein 3d, Arch?

Wolf3d has one ammo type, and the problem is, if you mess up and use up all of your ammo (i.e., by using a strong weapon during a tense boss fight) you don't have anything left.  In that game, the chaingun could eat up your entire stock of ammo in about 10 seconds, and if that happened, you had nothing but the knife to defend yourself. If there wasn't ammo near you, you would most certainly die if you ran into an enemy.

In the standard doom system, if you use up all of your phasing zorch ammo by using the LAZ, you still have large zorch ammo, rockets, and bullets as backup ammo. It's a good system, I suggest you keep it.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

arch129

Quote from: 75 on June 03, 2011, 11:43:38 PM
Have you played Wolfenstein 3d, Arch?

Wolf3d has one ammo type, and the problem is, if you mess up and use up all of your ammo (i.e., by using a strong weapon during a tense boss fight) you don't have anything left.  In that game, the chaingun could eat up your entire stock of ammo in about 10 seconds, and if that happened, you had nothing but the knife to defend yourself. If there wasn't ammo near you, you would most certainly die if you ran into an enemy.

In the standard doom system, if you use up all of your phasing zorch ammo by using the LAZ, you still have large zorch ammo, rockets, and bullets as backup ammo. It's a good system, I suggest you keep it.

The Wolfenstein system is interesting because your most powerful weapon has the largest/painful cost, if you use your chaingun without thinking you will get stuck and lose.  I've done this myself and I learned from it

I want some elements of strategy in my mod, but after thinking about it, having just one ammo type would be too... no. But, I don't want people to mindlessly hold down the mouse button until the ammo runs out and then just move on to their next weapon with no real effect.

Replica

You can still add strategy without changing the ammo types. A large Zorcher should be used for close combat; Rapid for difficult situations, and things such as the Mini or Rapid for far away combat. (A new zorcher for that is good.) Phase is really the upgrade to the Rapid Zorcher. If you want, you should make the Rapid Zorcher take up more zorch, or perhaps add a limited distance to the Phase zorcher. The best way I suggest is to stop placing so much ammo, to where if the player wastes a ton of Large Zorcher ammo on a distant enemy, which will leave him or her in a bad situation. You should also hide a lot of the ammo behind stuff and such, so it is see-able but the player may pass it by. I think a good way to promote use of right weapons is to make it so the weapon is annoying in such a situation. If the Rapid Zorcher takes a few seconds to start up like a regular zorches, you wouldn't really want to use it much. My final idea is to add reloading to weapons. I think if it takes a few seconds to load the Rapid Zorcher, the player may want to avoid using it tight areas.

Sorry for the messy organization of my ideas... I just said them as I thought of them.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.