Author Topic: Opinions on a possible desktop to upgrade later?  (Read 2274 times)

Offline ZeldaGamer00

• Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 11
Opinions on a possible desktop to upgrade later?
« on: June 11, 2011, 11:43:12 PM »
Edit: Thanks to everybody, I'm going to buy a DIY desktop kit from newegg instead of a pre-built one. This is the kit I'm most likely gonna get.

Original post:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:12:59 PM by ZeldaGamer00 »

3DS Friend Code: 0645-5762-6755 (PM me if you add me)

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • same old innocence
Re: Opinions on a possible desktop to upgrade later?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 12:12:56 AM »
I couldn't say for sure, but traditionally consumer "big box" PCs don't handle big upgrades well. Generally, the power supplies in those things are too weak for a decent video card. There is also the question of case space and proper thermal conditions.

Also, 5 gigs of RAM is a really strange number, lol. They must have mismatched some DDR3 kits to arrive at 5.  XD

Edit: Oh hey, I'm familiar with that particular HP case. They're really small.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:14:54 AM by brain candy »

Offline ZeldaGamer00

• Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 12:50:30 AM »
Yeah, I was slightly concerned about the PSU and case when I was looking at it. :-\

For the most part, my goal is to buy the desktop, and then upgrade it with a better case, PSU, etc. down the road when I get enough money. I'd barely have enough to buy the thing by late November, let alone upgrade.

Are there any part upgrades (PSU, case, etc.), or better desktops you'd recommend that are $500 or less? I was looking at the one in the first post, mostly because I could buy it somewhere locally, it was the best desktop I could find for under my max of $500 everywhere I looked, and because I possibly wouldn't have to buy a quad-core CPU later on. (Not worried about a monitor, my parents would buy one for me)

Edit: Would I just be better off buying a DIY desktop kit from some place like newegg? Something like this is in my price range, and I'd know exactly what went into it. (Minus a OS)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 01:04:46 AM by ZeldaGamer00 »

Offline xbolt

• The Man with the Beard
  • Administrator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 78
  • Honor the Fallen
    • The Page of Xbolt
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 04:15:34 AM »
Eww, HP.

In all seriousness though, I really say steer clear of HP. What I know of them is all bad. A DIY rig is, IMO, a much better use of your money.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 09:34:50 AM »
We had posted awhile back some rig configs that were about 500$ or so. Maybe update it some, and build a simple one? Because that will ensure your ability to upgrade.

In fact, design your rig around updating. Get a decent, but not too expensive card, or a tad on the middle of memory (2 instead of 4, or 3 instead of 6), and plan on maximizing your board later (like even possibly going with a cheaper dual core and upgrade to quad later).

But you'll be much happier and more in control over your own build than trying to upgrade a closed product.

And all that said, Eww, HP. Seriously.

If you've looked at the reviews, Dell and HP are all at the bottom of the line in almost every field. They've stopped making good stuff. Keep away at all costs.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 30
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 02:31:37 PM »
Don't buy anything by HP, they use bad parts and charge you like they were good parts.

You can get much more for your money if you build your own.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 04:14:24 PM »
Even my HP printer jams up every other time I try to put paper in it. ><

But seriously, if you're going for the $500 budget mark, there are definitely some awesome builds you can make for the price that are way more powerful and customized to your needs. If you had found a big box computer with good specs for like $300, that's a different story. But these days you can pay $100 for 8 gigs of some good DDR3, that's half the price it was a year and a half ago. In addition the Athlon II series and the Core i3s are pretty powerful little budget CPUs and 1 TB drives are way down in price these days too.  You might have to shell out a bit for a good power supply, but it's COMPLETELY worth it. I bought a cheapo no-name PSU with my pretty case, and it blew up (sparks and everything) in my face a few months ago. Got a nice Antec 450W, 80-Plus Bronze certified and it runs cool and quiet.

Definitely, definitely go for a sick custom rig; there are some very nice $500 budget builds out there. And besides, 5 gigs of RAM is a really weird amount. XD
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline ZeldaGamer00

• Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 04:36:28 PM »
So, after asking here, and asking a few IRL friends, I've decided on buying a DIY desktop kit from newegg. It'll most likely be this one. I figured that I might as well get more than I'll need, so I won't need to upgrade as soon later.

Parts in kit:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Hopefully that'll be more than enough to get a head-start on a gaming PC. However, I have 2 small concerns:

1. Do I need to buy some sort of cooling system or heatsink for the CPU?
2. How badly will the CPU eat up power?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:55:08 PM by ZeldaGamer00 »

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 05:10:16 PM »
If you want an entry level graphics card, a 9500, 9600, or even a GTS 250 would be better than nothing.

but for your concerns:

1. As long as you got decent ventilation and aren't planning on some Overclocking, the stock fans on procs are fine. The fan on my Q8400 ran a small overclock without getting too hot...
2. I've honestly never factored CPU consumption into the equation...its a necessary part, so just get plenty power and it'll run fine. If you're worried about how much power the thing draws as a whole, just get one of the 80 Plus rated supplies.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 07:56:27 PM »
Don't worry, the stock AMD coolers are awesome so long as you aren't overclocking. Also there isn't really much to consider in terms of CPUs eating up power, it's definitely more a factor of the GPU than anything. Any good PSU will support it fine.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting