What is your preferred control set-up for Chex Quest games?

Started by SlayaDud, June 14, 2011, 04:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlayaDud

Hey guys I was just curious what your preferred control set-ups for Chex Quest games including online are because I would like to find the one the feels the best on my laptop. I would appreciate your guys's help.

xbolt

Well, when I'm playing singleplayer, I use the arrow keys to move, as I did in 1996. However, for online Zorchmatch, I use WASD + the mouse.

Welcome to the forums, by the way! :whale

Atariangamer

Pretty much what he said, with the exception of some newer SP mods, which play a bit better with mouse freelook.

However, you being on a laptop complicates the standard WASD+Mouse...try turning your mouse sensitivity settings in ZDooM/Skulltag pretty high, and play a bit using that control scheme. the high sensitivity should compensate for you not having much room to move the mouse on.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

arch129

Chex Quest is the reason why I always use arrow keys over WASD.  Basically since Chex Quest was my first FPS, I really gotten used to it.

Also welcome SlayaDud to the CQFF!  :whale

Replica

My setup is pretty funky.

I use WASD + Mouse, but different then they do.

A-Left Strafe
D-Right Strafe
W-Jump
S-Duck

Left Mouse - Shoot
Right Mouse - Move Forward
Mouse 3 (Pressing down on the middle button, not scrolling it.) - Backwards
Scroll Down - Previous Weapon
Scroll Up - Next Weapon

I built this because my hand couldn't handle the Arrow keys/space/,/./shift keys. (Handle as in I feel pain in my wrist after a couple years doing it.)
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

MajorSlime

Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

LAZ Trooper

Quote from: xbolt on June 14, 2011, 04:37:55 AM
Well, when I'm playing singleplayer, I use the arrow keys to move, as I did in 1996.
Quote from: Atariangamer on June 14, 2011, 09:29:04 AM
Pretty much what he said, with the exception of some newer SP mods, which play a bit better with mouse freelook.
These. My right hand is always either mouse or arrow keys, and my left hand does spacebar, ctrl, alt, , . / a, z, s, x, q, w, whatever keys I have.
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

Anonymous (ChexGuy331)

WASD+Mouse, always. In single-player I disable jumping and mouselook.

QuadrumpusGuy

WASD + R = Jump + C = Crouch + Mouselook

Mouse Config:

Left Button: Fire
Center WheelUp/Down: Goes through arms.
Right Button: Use Linedef
Center Wheel Click: AltFire

E = Taunt

I'm thinking of trying E = Crouch and T = Taunt

Same control scheme I use for all games (even modern ones like TF2 and UT), the jump/crouch controls are from Duke Nukem 3d. They don't work very well if I have to fire and jump at the same time, or jump and turn, since I have to move my left hand from the mouse to hit A or Z.

Arrow keys - movement. I can't use WASD. Partially because I'm left handed, but it's also because the WASD keys don't line up as well as the arrow keys do, i.e., the w key isn't directly above s, it's slightly to the left, which feels strange after playing for years using the arrows.

Mouse - turning and looking

LMB - Primary fire
RMB - secondary fire

wheel up/down - next/previous weapon

Jump - A
Crouch - Z
Taunt - U (default)

Use - Space bar - not a smart bind because I have to choose between opening a door and firing/aiming, or opening a door and moving.

Skulltag was a lot easier on my old mouse, which had 5 buttons. I looked at five different stores, and none of them had a mouse that didn't hurt my left hand, and that had with 5 buttons and a solid (clicky) wheel, so I had to buy a 3 button mouse.

sometimes I use the wheel button for jumping or crouching, if the map requires a lot of that. I don't do it very often because that button is uncomfortable and flaky on my mouse, sometimes I accidentally scroll instead of hitting it.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

MajorSlime

Quote from: 75 on July 05, 2011, 12:52:16 PM
Arrow keys - movement. I can't use WASD. Partially because I'm left handed, but it's also because the WASD keys don't line up as well as the arrow keys do, i.e., the w key isn't directly above s, it's slightly to the left, which feels strange after playing for years using the arrows.

XD

When I use WASD, one fingers on the right edge of W, and the others on the left edge of S.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.