Author Topic: Gonna buy a laptop  (Read 3884 times)

Offline matthias720

• Mr. Whaleware
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 33
  • Up! Up! And ...
Gonna buy a laptop
« on: June 26, 2011, 03:29:50 PM »
As the title infers, I'm in the market to buy a laptop. I wanted the opinions of my comrades before making any final decisions. I know that I want to get it at Best Buy (think of that what you will) and I think I have found the one I want, but I want to hear what y'all think about it. I want something that will play Minecraft, Portal, and anything else I throw at it, and one with a good battery life. I also want it to have a lot of RAM, and this one has 6GB of RAM (It never fails that Firefox starts to hog RAM after the first few hours).

Anyway, enough blabbing on my part, please tell me if I chose a good one, or if I should look for something else. Don't worry about my feelings either; I want your honest opinions.

Thanks! :whale
:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
Re: Gonna buy a laptop
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 05:04:05 PM »
I think Firefox used to have memory leaks, you should just try restarting your browser once in a while. ;)

But hrmmm, can I just ask why Best Buy? Why not get a nice Newegg laptop?

Anyways, as for the one you've linked, I like the DDR3 RAM, the GPU seems pretty nice, and it's got USB 3 so that's a plus. It's also got a Blu-Ray player and multitouch, which are both awesome. The HD's only 5400 rpm, 7200 would be nicer but I'm not sure if you could find it with all the other capable specs it's got. Seems like this laptop would be a battery hog either way, though.

If you're gonna go Best Buy, I'd say this would be a very nice, very powerful purchase for the price. :)
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline matthias720

• Mr. Whaleware
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Up! Up! And ...
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 07:35:05 PM »
I want to go to Best Buy because I don't want to purchase anything online, if I can at all help it.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:42:11 AM »
If you can, run in and see if they have an ASUS G73 or G53. Talk about able to throw anything at it...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • same old innocence
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 12:06:10 PM »
Admittedly, that is a really sweet price, but is it possible to get something that's not HP's Pavilion series? Does BestBuy sell HP ProBooks? HP isn't entirely horrendous if you buy from their enterprise line (ProBook, EliteBook) but the Pavilion is straight crap, IMHO... My brother a newer one that is the most unexplainably misbehaved laptop I've run across. It's decided it doesn't like running if the AC adapter is unplugged, it takes week long "naps" where it just won't turn on, it restarts whenever it feels like it, it runs like a slug, and it overheats like no other. Really, really not impressed. Nothing is good about it.

*Shops around*

Grr, that's a really good price. The AMD A-Series will not outperform Intel's second-generation Core processors... not even close. I think the A-Series will give you better graphics performance though because the on-CPU GPU will work together with the Radeon GPU in Dual Graphics mode. Also, AMD power management is really good these days. Overall, this is actually a really good package from HP.

Nothing is really coming close other than the fact that these are i-core CPUS...

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Okay, I can't find anything. So, great specs on paper but possibly a very unruly laptop in the future.

Offline matthias720

• Mr. Whaleware
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Up! Up! And ...
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 12:36:34 PM »
Thanks, BC. I knew I could count on some good insight from you. ;)

Offline LAZ Trooper

• Must... keep... mapping... o_o
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 23
  • Standing at the ready when Flemoids attack.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 11:54:07 PM »
My brother's previous laptop (Elrond) was a Dell, and he had to replace the motherboard a while back, and now the motherboard is slightly broken again, so when he occasionally uses it he sometimes has to flex the computer to get it to turn on. ::)

Both brother and sister have Thinkpads, but except for the myriad of weird problems my sister's has, I've heard they're good... but then again, I'm not the resident geek.
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 08:59:27 AM »
While Thinkpads usually aren't powerhouses, they're very awesome laptops.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline matthias720

• Mr. Whaleware
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Up! Up! And ...
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 10:21:35 AM »
I have a VERY old Thinkpad. It has a 1GB hard drive and runs Win95. XD

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • same old innocence
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 11:11:20 AM »
Or, in my opinion, were good back when IBM made them. Thinkpad rant contained in spoilers:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Thanks, BC. I knew I could count on some good insight from you. ;)

Hope it helped some! I keep looking around in this price range and I'm finding nothing that is specced as nicely as this one. Any i-core laptop will be way more powerful in sheer horsepower, but this particular AMD CPU (A8-3500M, Llano platform) + GPU is definitely a viable entry-level gaming notebook. For gaming, the A8-3500M equipped laptops are some of the best sub-$700 gaming laptops you're going to find right now. When you factor in the triple battery life gain over the previous generation AMD (Danube) platform, and the focus on gaming, this particular build sounds a lot like what you want.

Sooo...

- What AMD is now selling is substantially better graphics for less money. That's their one and only edge.
- The A8-3500M has the full 400 Radeon cores, which is awesome.
- The A8-3500M can apparently "generally handle medium detail 1366x768 gaming".
- Other than gaming, the Llano platform was a huge flop. This CPU will not take down any i-core CPU. Even the dual-core i5 processors are still typically 30% faster than the A8-3500M.

And of course, you still need to seriously consider that this is all boxed up inside an HP. The laptop could have a spectacular failure in a year, no guarantees. Buy an extended warranty? :-\

Offline matthias720

• Mr. Whaleware
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Up! Up! And ...
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 11:40:03 AM »
And of course, you still need to seriously consider that this is all boxed up inside an HP. The laptop could have a spectacular failure in a year, no guarantees. Buy an extended warranty? :-\
I guess I'll have to wait and see. It is starting looking like a good laptop for me. I don't need anything too powerful for gaming. The most I want from it graphically, is for Portal and Minecraft to look good on medium settings. And I definitely think that this laptop can do that.

Offline matthias720

• Mr. Whaleware
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Up! Up! And ...
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 11:39:48 AM »
I went ahead and ordered the laptop. It should be in this week (I'm hoping on Tuesday).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 12:07:10 PM by matthias720 »

Offline matthias720

• Mr. Whaleware
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Up! Up! And ...
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 12:09:36 PM »
Got the laptop, and it is SWEET! I'll post pics of it later, after I get my hands on a camera.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting