Author Topic: Computer inexplicably shuts off during gaming.  (Read 1784 times)

Offline cheetahben

• Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • My Tumblr
Computer inexplicably shuts off during gaming.
« on: July 20, 2011, 11:44:10 PM »
I've owned a new-ish laptop for roughly three or four months, and it hasn't had any major problems until recently. Whenever I play a fairly graphics-heavy game, my computer shuts off after about 20 minutes of playing it. I tested out my entire Steam library, and here are the games that are giving me flak:

Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
BioShock 2
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age II
Portal 2

Everything else is perfect. The most recent game I'm able to run without issue is Left 4 Dead 2.

I also had a cooling pad for my laptop that broke recently, and I've been using my laptop without one since. It ran everything listed above fine when I used a cooling pad, so this might be part of the issue?

If this isn't a heat issue, it's probably a battery or power issue.

What should I do, CQFF?

Offline Replica

• What do I have to do to get Arch-Vile to like me?
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 19
    • Chex Quest Replica!
Re: Computer inexplicably shuts off during gaming.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 12:31:53 AM »
I too have had this problem with my 4 year old laptop. The problem is over heating, and there really isn't anything you can do about it. :/ I suggest using a vacuum on the vents under and behind your computer to remove any dust and dirt blocking the air flow. Make sure your laptop isn't up against a wall, and on a hard surface. Proping your computer up off the desk by placeing books or something under the corners could improve air flow too. I don't know what to tell you if none of these help at all, and they probably won't do much.

BTW, my computer did this a lot in the Crash Course campaign in L4D. Probably the next day my computer ran it fine (Well besides the lag I get) and didn't do it, so it might be that your computer is still hot when you start the game or something.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Offline cheetahben

• Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 12:37:18 AM »
I'm probably going to end up getting another cooling pad, but thank you for the advice.

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
    • same old innocence
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 12:59:40 PM »
What kind of laptop do you have now? Build, model, specs? Did you buy it new, used, refurb?

I will echo what Replica said though. It sounds like it could be an overheating issue, especially if it straight up shuts off within a certain amount of time. HP/Compaq, Dells and Acers are notorious for this. My boyfriend's brother had a brand new Compaq that no matter what you did (cooling pads, cleaning it out, running in cool places, etc) would still overheat.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting