Author Topic: MIDI Editor Program?  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
MIDI Editor Program?
« on: July 31, 2011, 01:10:14 AM »
So, I've got this SY77 synth, and its actually quite good sounding when programmed right. As I've gone through a few banks of sounds, I've found lots of useful ones, like really good GenMIDI type patches. Of course its a bit different because this isn't a GenMIDI type device. In fact, it can't even read a standard MIDI right, making it VERY hard to play midi files on it.

Because of its age and sound (1989, woot!), I thought it would be cool to get some classic iD game music on it, or better yet...CHEX QUEST.

Well, there are problem, of course. The midis won't work right out the box. I have to fix them up.

By fix, it means I make a Multi bank (which just defines what voice goes to what channel, up to 16), and set the right channel of midi to match it. So, like in LANDING, the first channel is a Bass. So I just tell my SY77 that channel 1 is sending notes for the bass voice, and it plays it. one problem: the GenMidi voice is sent to the SY as well. The voice number, 1 thru 64, corresponds to a preset in the memory of the keyboard. In voice mode, it selects one of the 64 patches on the current storage device (Internal, Preset 1 ROM, and Preset 2 ROM). In Multi mode, the same thing, but for multi presets instead of voices.

So, it starts switching my multi preset on me to something else, making it sound terrible. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, save for one thing: my current program likes to override my settings with those in the natural file. FL Studio has great MIDI playback tools and syncs well with the keyboard, using it both as an input and playback device. However, it reads a MIDI a bit TOO well, and will read the deep engrained settings that reset all channels to their rightful instruments upon stoping and starting the timeline. Nothing can change it.

That said, I need a really easy MIDI editor. Anvil is good, but hard to use for my purposes because of its extremely outdated interface. A tracker styled program wouldn't do well either, because I've yet to fully understand how to make it do what I want. Something that can give me fast and full control over every MIDI aspect in the file would be desirable. Even better, the ability to use a MIDI interface like the one I've got with the synth for on-the-fly playback.

Oh, and FOSS software would be appreciated. Reasoning: I've yet to find a FOSS program that didn't do what I wanted perfectly. Since its free and open, anyone who can use it and can code it makes it better, so eventually, it evolves into a good product...but free.

ANYWAY. Yes, help finding such a program
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
Re: MIDI Editor Program?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 12:45:37 PM »
Well, I hear Mixcraft is pretty easy to use, though it's not free. The trial is here, though: http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/

There's also Ardour (free) for GNU/Linux, though I'm not sure how easy it is to use. http://ardour.org/

I wish I could help more, being into MIDI/synth and music so much, but my main setup is FL, Reason, and Cubase. Reason and Cubase are expensive, Reason is pretty much for MIDI in, and Cubase is pretty tricky to figure out.

Or maybe BRELS MIDI editor? Just found it on Wikipedia. http://breno.sarmen.to/brels_midi_editor.html
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 03:30:57 PM »
BRELS looks perfect! Save for the fact that I can't build it :/

Offline Batmanifestdestiny

• oddball
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • Yeah, that's right.
    • CQ Hideout
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 05:00:41 PM »
I'm not sure if it can edit every part of the midi file, but Rosegarden is a truly amazing MIDI program.  I use it for transferring my music from manuscript paper onto the computer, and also for a little composition (I find it harder to compose on a computer), though it also has a "piano roll" style editor, a tracker interface, and probably more.  I don't think they have an official windows version, but there might be a custom compile for that, or you could build it in Cygwin.

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 11:57:39 PM »
I may have to start a virtualbox linux, because that looks too good to pass up. They said that Windows is almost impossible due to its dependencies on Linux libraries for MIDI and Audio

• oddball
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • Yeah, that's right.
    • CQ Hideout
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 10:38:13 PM »
It truly is an amazing program.  I wasn't aware of how dependent it was on Linux libraries, which is bad for Windows users, but good for me because it runs amazingly fast, and I don't have to pay $600 for complete notation editing (yes, they also have a $10 version, but that's click-based with no in-depth music sheet editing).

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 01:07:08 PM »
It truly is an amazing program.  I wasn't aware of how dependent it was on Linux libraries, which is bad for Windows users, but good for me because it runs amazingly fast, and I don't have to pay $600 for complete notation editing (yes, they also have a $10 version, but that's click-based with no in-depth music sheet editing).

Student discount! My friends got Sibelius and Finale for like half the retail price with the discount, though that's still quite a pretty penny.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

• oddball
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • Yeah, that's right.
    • CQ Hideout
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 09:25:17 PM »

Student discount! My friends got Sibelius and Finale for like half the retail price with the discount, though that's still quite a pretty penny.
True, but doesn't it restrict you to things like not publishing your music with the student version?

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting