Author Topic: Server computer build, for web page hosting and Skulltag  (Read 8398 times)

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 30
    • IFOCSERV
Re: Server computer build, for web page hosting and Skulltag
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 06:21:05 AM »
That seems like a good build. In your opinion, this will allow me to host a web server too?
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 12:06:09 PM »
That should run you anything. Even possibly simultaneously. It'll have the power, you'll just have to look out for the bandwidth of running it all, which will probably be your main bottleneck. But as long as its low traffic, you could probably run Skulltag, Source, and a web server all at once.

My rig was a little less than this, but I could run Minecraft server, TF2 server, Mumble voice server, and play on all of them with no problem. Considering this is newer technology, it'll be even better.

Also, BC mentioned looking for a more efficient PSU. I need to go look at the power specs on some of these parts, because you really need it to be efficient. My parents saw a massive drop in their power bill when I stopped running the server full time. Also, like she said, less watts, less heat, and less need of the loud fans to cool it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:08:09 PM by Atariangamer »
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 08:30:59 PM »
I ordered the build today, I added a larger CPU cooler and changed the hard drive to a 1 TB Caviar Black.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 07:58:16 AM »
I found this on my ISP's Terms of Service

Customer agrees not to use the Service for operation as an Internet service provider, a server site for ftp, telnet, rlogin, email hosting, "web hosting" or other similar applications, for any business enterprise, or as an end-point on a local area network or wide area network.

It's actually a violation for me to even host Skulltag servers; this means that the web page will need to wait until after I graduate and get a different ISP. I'll still host the games, though.

For right now, I've decided on WebNG for hosting: http://jwaffe.webng.com/
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:17:56 AM by 75 »

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • same old innocence
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 09:50:58 AM »
It's actually a violation for me to even host Skulltag servers; this means that the web page will need to wait until after I graduate and get a different ISP. I'll still host the games, though.

This is the trouble that I ran in to. My Utah ISP was a bit cranky about Skulltag and Mumble but let it slide. Unfortunately, my Texas ISP gets real crazy about it. Hosting services is a pretty big infraction, and something they've come down on me hard for this past year. I hope you can find a proper ISP once you graduate, but it'll be hard with everyone being all gun-ho about network traffic shaping.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 12:24:52 AM »
I assembled the new computer, but it doesn't start (no movement when I hit the power button, as if it were not plugged in). I guess that it doesn't start because I  forgot to attach a plug to the motherboard somewhere, it's too late for me to diagnose it more tonight. It's a strange effect, the 24 pin motherboard power plug is securely hooked in, and so is the 4 pin CPU power plug, and all of the fans are attached; I'm surprised it did not start the fans moving, at least.

I hope I didn't get sent a dead power supply.

EDIT - and now it works? What did I do? All I did was detach the monitor cable and the keyboard/mouse ???

The computer starts, and I installed FreeBSD, which seemed to be successful until I restarted it and the computer didn't get past "Loading Operating System". Now that I think of it, I remember seeing something about a MBR in the installation, I stupidly forgot what a MBR was, and thought that would install something like GRUB, which I didn't need, and I unintentionally told it not to install a boot record of any kind. That's why it couldn't find the OS.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 12:59:45 AM by 75 »

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 12:43:31 PM »
I've had a few scares like yours. I have no idea why, but I've seen some right out of the box PC parts not want to do a cold start. Took a few goes and then it was up and running. No explanation, didn't happen again. I hope yours goes the same route, but keep any eye on it for sure.

Did you get your GRUB, MBR stuff worked out?

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 02:47:55 PM »
After I re-installed FreeBSD, and installing the FreeBSD boot manager, it works. There have been no problems with the power supply, and the PC has started perfectly each time I push the power button after my post two days ago.

Right now, the OS is working, but the ethernet connection gives me an error

Code: [Select]
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Destination address required
on startup. I guess this is because I need a driver to use the hardware, but I obviously can't download it from the internet, and I don't know FreeBSD well enough to mount a USB drive to transfer a file

I understand how to use the mount command, but I don't know what the USB file system is called to mount it. I get a lot of data when I plug it in, and I tried everything that sounded like a name, and none of it worked. I will keep trying.

I have a general UNIX question too; How do I use"su"? I assumed it was the same as "sudo" in ubuntu; it seems to have its own syntax, and I can't get it to work.

If I type "su", I get a response involving the word "Sorry"; no information about a login failure, and it doesn't ask me for the root password

If I type "su <command>", the terminal responds with "Sorry" and a login failure, but also never asks for my password.

As a result, the only way I know to make system changes is to log out as my username, and log in as root using "login" when I want to do something. My guess as to why "su" doesn't work is because my user account is not a part of a group I didn't create, I saw an article that mentioned an "operator" group, I didn't add my account to any group.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 02:50:51 PM by 75 »

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 03:11:31 PM »
Your account has to be a part of the group of users authorized to use the su command. The wheel group or something like that. (I'm not a well-versed BSD user)

I had to do this in Debian.

Check the output of:
% groups <yourname>

If you aren't there...

Login as root and change to the /etc directory. Using an editor (vi), edit the group file

Login: root
Password: *******

# cd /etc
# ee group

Change this:
wheel:*:0:root

To this:
wheel:*:0:root,YourUserName

You should now be able to login as your regular user account and change to root with the su command.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 09:45:48 PM »
"Wheel" is the group that FreeBSD uses, what you said worked great

I wasn't able to get the ethernet card working today, but I now understand how to mount and unmount USB drives, what I was missing is that I needed to use the parameter -t msdosfs to mount it, because it was a FAT drive. Also, I was trying to mount it to /media/, it always said "device /media/ not ready", instead I mounted it to a folder in my home folder, and now it works.

Strangely, I wasn't able to unmount it using umount, it said it was "busy", even though the only thing I did on this flash drive was open a text file. That may have been a result of the last time I tried to access it, when I just pulled it out.

I also made another observation about my ethernet situation; the correct drivers are installed (I found a mention of my onboard ethernet chipset on FreeBSD, and the driver is installed), so that isn't the problem; I'm glad it isn't, I imagined that finding the correct driver would be difficult, but luckily my adaptor is included in a generic package.

However, that eliminates one possibility, at this time I guess that it's a mistake in my configuration, though it's unlikely because my rc.conf exactly matches the one in the FreeBSD handbook, except with my ip addresses substituted; it's possible that I'm misunderstanding what the parameters are meant to be, it doesn't give an explanation of what these ip addresses mean.

When I first ran sysinstall, I tried to configure the connection to be a static ip, but it didn't finish, it exited with an error. It's possible that the initial attempt to configure it failed and the result is this strange error.

I'll continue investigating this.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 03:13:05 PM »
I'm switching to Ubuntu Server, I can't find the dependencies I need for FreeBSD. I was enjoying learning the OS, but it's too hard for me right now; it will be much easier to work with Ubuntu Server since I know where things should be in Ubuntu, in FreeBSD I don't know many commands and the directories are different. If I get more UNIX experience, I'll try it again.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:19:42 PM by 75 »

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 06:33:39 PM »
FreeBSD can be really different experience than your typical Ubuntu type build, depending on what you're doing. I'm not all that familiar with BSD for the most part... *Eyes MacBook*. But I hear it's an epic branch in the OS world.

Ubuntu will be nice because it has all those wonderful Debian packages to back you up. Hope it goes well.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 05:01:47 PM »
Ubuntu Server is working very nicely, and all servers are now hosted on the i3 PC instead of that dual core laptop

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 06:23:31 PM »
My server computer has turned off for no reason four or five times, and twice in the same day; I blame my power supply since I have a lot of cooling on this computer. For this reason, I will never buy another Corsair power supply.

I ordered an Antec 550W power supply. I'm returning this Corsair one for a refund.

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 10:02:05 AM »
For this reason, I will never buy another Corsair power supply.

If I said this about every bad part I got from Newegg, I'd be out of hardware options by now. Antec included.

I do hope it is the PSU because then you're already on your way to a fix, but it could also be:

- Electrical voltage in home, power strip, UPS
- Faulty motherboard/bad capacitors
  - Bad connections to motherboard  (power cables from PSU or leads from case)
- Improperly grounded motherboard
- Bad RAM
- Bad CPU

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting