Author Topic: Server computer build, for web page hosting and Skulltag  (Read 8400 times)

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 30
    • IFOCSERV
Re: Server computer build, for web page hosting and Skulltag
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 02:20:33 PM »
- Electrical voltage in home, power strip, UPS

That would have affected my main computer too since it's on the same power strip on a dedicated circuit.

- Faulty motherboard/bad capacitors

That's a possibility, I'll remember that if the PSU doesn't fix it.

- Bad connections to motherboard  (power cables from PSU or leads from case)

I checked those connections meticulously when the computer didn't start the first time, but it is possible that there was a defect in how those connections were built.

- Improperly grounded motherboard

I remember when I was building it that I could not match up all of the screw holes with holes in the case; this is a possibility, and it's easy to test; I'll try that when I get the new PSU

- Bad RAM
- Bad CPU

Would those cause the computer to just shut off, though? I remember when I was building my last computer,  I forgot to plug in the CPU in and the computer still turned on; it didn't boot, but the case fans still ran.

I have one more idea: The CPU thermal paste was as hard as silly putty, it's possible that I didn't spread it well enough. That's another easy fix.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 02:22:16 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »
My server computer has turned off for no reason four or five times, and twice in the same day; I blame my power supply since I have a lot of cooling on this computer. For this reason, I will never buy another Corsair power supply.

I ordered an Antec 550W power supply. I'm returning this Corsair one for a refund.

Well, that's kinda sudden don't you think? Hope it was the PSU, though. Antecs are great.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 08:09:09 PM »
I had to act quickly so I could get a refund from Newegg, if I waited even another week, I would have missed my chance to get a refund.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • same old innocence
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 11:27:51 AM »
That would have affected my main computer too since it's on the same power strip on a dedicated circuit.
Sometimes it's the specific socket, or the strain of two computers on the same strip coupled with a sensitive new PSU. Usually not the case, but always a thought. :)

I checked those connections meticulously when the computer didn't start the first time, but it is possible that there was a defect in how those connections were built.
Yep, also just something you should keep in mind of the PSU doesn't remedy the situation.

I remember when I was building it that I could not match up all of the screw holes with holes in the case; this is a possibility, and it's easy to test; I'll try that when I get the new PSU
You don't need to worry if it's just that you didn't populate all the screw holes on the board -- that's more of a structural integrity issue if you have a big cooler. As long as you used the right screws that screw into the gold risers, you should be fine.

- Bad RAM
- Bad CPU
Both of these could cause shutdowns, but more likely they would cause restarts. A completely dead CPU/unplugged CPU will still boot but won't POST like you saw. A faulty CPU will run until it references that bad area and then go crazy. Same with RAM.

I have one more idea: The CPU thermal paste was as hard as silly putty, it's possible that I didn't spread it well enough. That's another easy fix.
A bad thermal paste job will cause cruddy heat dissipation and thermal issues, for sure. The motherboard will issue a thermal emergency shutdown when the CPU gets too hot.

I serviced an HP whose cooler had fallen off the socket (no idea how) and it would boot just fine and run for about 15-20 minutes depending on load before it issued a thermal shutdown. (Go HP!)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 11:30:55 AM by brain candy »

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 11:13:10 PM »
Those are good points.

I installed the new PSU today; I like it better already because it's modular (even though it isn't listed as a modular power supply, strange) and the power cord fits in the back of it very firmly (the Corsair socket wiggled around, and could even get knocked out if I bumped it). The computer worked today; no random shutdowns, although strangely when it was using the old PSU it worked for a few days consecutively with no bugs after I turned up the case fans to high. It's unlikely that it wasn't getting enough ventilation, considering my huge CPU cooler, so I assumed it was just luck that it did not happen for a few days.

If the problem persists, I'll buy more thermal paste because that was the worst part of the build. The RAM and CPU are next, then the motherboard connectors.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 11:17:02 PM by 75 »

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting