Author Topic: A bit of a problem...  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Datra

• Captain of the Chex Ship.
  • Maximus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
  • wait a sec'... that's not a Chex Ship!
A bit of a problem...
« on: September 24, 2011, 09:52:59 PM »
Okay. so my computer is a quad-core. But one of the cores is ɬocked and before Windows starts I have the option of unlocking the fourth one. Up until now I've left it alone but decided on a whim to unlock it to see what it can do. My screen goes to black and my computer restarts and the usual prompt for the quad-core option is replaced by a message saying that I am running on all four cores. When I logged into Windows a prompt comes up saying that the changes wont take effect until the computer restarts, I restart the computer and now everything is all buggy.

Steam crashes instantly, Firefox will crash too and there's visual distortion on the banner. Flash Player crashes instantly whenever videos are started (apparently flash ads aren't affected yet) and Windows Update can't recall any updates and crashes when it tries to scan for some. idk if I accidentally agreed to a virus when I restarted after unlocking the core (im running a virus scan now to check) but if this has something to do with the core, is there a way to lock it back up?

I would love to hear what you all think, I'm starting to get a little worried.

Edit: Virus Scan is done and there indeed was something malicious. I deleted it but that doesn't seem to be enough. I'm still getting problems with the browsers and steam and when I do get a game and itunes working, there is audio distortion and slight graphical distortion too. Windows Updater is also bugging out, saying that there aren't any updates and that the computer has never received any, and when I try to scan for some, it pulls up an error. I restored my system to back where it was a few days ago which helped Youtube's instant crashing problem but there is still audio and visual distortion and all the other problems.

I even think I found out how to lock the cores back up through the setup bios. I manually turned them off but even when I restart the message still pops up that I'm using all 4. And when I check the resource monitor it still says it's using the fourth one.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 02:13:09 AM by Datra »
CQHD Community Dev

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
Re: A bit of a problem...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 06:20:36 PM »
What processor is this? My tri-core Athlon II is unlockable to quad but oftentimes it's buggy and unstable when it does.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • same old innocence
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 06:29:22 PM »
It could be two things:

1. This.
What processor is this? My tri-core Athlon II is unlockable to quad but oftentimes it's buggy and unstable when it does.
It could just be a bad core that was locked for a reason.

2. It might be that your OS didn't take well to the introduction of a surprise 4th core, but this usually is not the case.

If you give us some exact info on your CPU and motherboard, we can tell you how to lock your core back up and see if that helps. Did you unlock it in the BIOS or in the OS?

Usually it's just a matter of turning the "Hyrbid" mode off on your EC Firmware for Advanced Clock Calibration or something like that. The vocabulary is different depending on the motherboard.

Offline Datra

• Captain of the Chex Ship.
  • Maximus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
  • wait a sec'... that's not a Chex Ship!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 03:09:50 AM »

Heh, that would probly help. :P
1. I'm using an AMD Phenom II x4 B45 3.2 ghz processor with an ASUS M4A785TD-EVO Motherboard
I got it as a tri-core so possibly the fourth one was locked because it's buggy. like you said BC

2. Some people that I talked to at school also said that the motherboard probably didn't like the new core and I'd have to reinstall the OS for it to work properly.

The core was unlocked from the BIOS but I was able to find the way to get back into it and manually lock it back up which fixed the problem thankfully.
Of course now I feel kinda silly for freaking out as much as I did. :/

CQHD Community Dev

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • same old innocence
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 11:54:34 AM »
With Windows, I guess there is a chance for anything to happen... An OS might get a little buggy with the introduction of a new core because the OS has to rebuild the hardware profile. I've personally never had any trouble like that though. You'll always want to experiment with unlocking when you're first building your PC so you don't risk pissing off an already established resident OS.

It sounds like it is a buggy core though if locking it back up fixed the problem... Bummer. Sometimes those cores are locked for a legit reason. If you're feeling adventurous and want to know for sure:

- You could always try a fresh install with the unlocked core and see how that goes.
- You could also check and see if your BIOS needs to be updated.

No worries about freaking out, although if you did, it didn't translate to your forum posts. :) I'd get really anxious too if my computer was behaving that way.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting