Author Topic: Graphics card update  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Pikazec2012

• Maximus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • If i could marry any girl, it would be Lilly Satou
Graphics card update
« on: October 31, 2011, 02:30:13 PM »
So right now my epic rig has a Nvidia 9800GT+ 1gbGDDR5 Ram. Should i upgrade it? i feel like i should but the problem is my 460 watt PSU is a real bottleneck. :( ideas, opinion, ect, plz
I'm Pikazec2012 and this is my favorite site on the internet! (yes i know im 3 years behind on this meme)

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
Re: Graphics card update
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 03:46:35 PM »
So right now my epic rig has a Nvidia 9800GT+ 1gbGDDR5 Ram. Should i upgrade it? i feel like i should but the problem is my 460 watt PSU is a real bottleneck. :( ideas, opinion, ect, plz

Haha that's a pretty awesome card to me! My friend's still rocking modern games with 9800, and I'm doing fine on my 9600. And 460 really isn't a power problem, unless you're trying to run a monster card or something in SLI.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline Pikazec2012

• Maximus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • If i could marry any girl, it would be Lilly Satou
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 04:10:15 PM »

Haha that's a pretty awesome card to me! My friend's still rocking modern games with 9800, and I'm doing fine on my 9600. And 460 really isn't a power problem, unless you're trying to run a monster card or something in SLI.
My Quad core is a Hog when it comes to power, lol
I'm Pikazec2012 and this is my favorite site on the internet! (yes i know im 3 years behind on this meme)

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 08:49:01 PM »
AFAIK, thats still a good card. Unless you're having a REAL hard time getting 60fps, hold with it. Another thing to try is overclocking. Grab EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner, and just try a few megahertz boost. most cards can handle between 20 and 50 on the core, and about the same on the memory. A good way to test is to get Furmark, run it in a window, and slowly overclock your card's core in 10mhz increments. As soon as you see an artifact warning, back it down 15. Then, do the same for the memory. If you think 15 is a bit much, just back down 5, and run it for about 30 minutes. If it gets any artifacts during that 30 minutes, back it down another 5.

You can easily get another 5-10 average FPS this way. But beware doing this if you're in a very hot environment, or your rig runs naturally hot.

I'm really wishing I could afford an upgrade on my rig. I just KNOW that my CPU/motherboard is what's holding me back (as well as my GTX460SE, not the best of cards), but that would require a very costly CPU upgrade (quad power is hard to come by T_T), and a just as expensive board upgrade. And even WORSE: memory. I've got DDR2, need DDR3. Bleh.

That or I really need to reformat my laptop and see if it can run faster on a plain Win7 installation instead of this mess filled one.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting