Author Topic: Cheap Upgrade Package?  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
Cheap Upgrade Package?
« on: November 16, 2011, 05:15:06 PM »
Alright, I'm thinking heavily about upgrading my SKWD. I don't have it here with me, but here's the specs I recall:

Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 3.35GHz
-w Corsair Hydro H50 Cooler
4GB Mushkin Performance DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L
EVGA GTX 460 SE
500GB WD Caviar Blue HDD
-w 200GB Seagate HDD for game stuffs
Some form of SATA DVD+/-RW
Midtower case (antec 300)

So. My gaming performance is limited by...almost everything.
Core 2 Quad could be faster (but the P43 prevents that).
the Ram could be bigger (but prices prevent that)
the graphics card is an SE. I didn't notice till long after I bought it that SE disabled several processor cores so that they could speed it up a notch and sell it for a lower price. So, its not very fast either. The 4GB memory limit affects me in games because the system already takes up a gig or more of processes, so the game is left with 3, and it just all goes slow. Especially multitasking during gaming.

All in all, I need a new base. I could probably stick with the GTX 460SE for awhile, its not a 'bad' card, but its nowhere near good either. It also overclocks nice, so I can regain some lost speed...I think. But the base being board, processor, memory.

I'm looking at i5-2500K, GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3, G.skill Ripjaws 8GB...and possibly an EVGA GTX 560 SuperClock. IDK.
The further under 400$ I get, the better off I am (because even though I could sell parts for a decent price, there would be no buyers around here -_-; )
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
Re: Cheap Upgrade Package?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 11:21:45 PM »
A great update would be getting more RAM, and making it DDR3, but of course you'd have to upgrade the mobo and throw out the old, perfectly good RAM. So that's not really an "upgrade" option, per se, but it looks like you're considering a new mobo anyways. Either way, more RAM itself would be a great upgrade. Paging? What paging?
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
Re: Cheap Upgrade Package?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 11:36:18 PM »
perfectly good ram? it wasn't that special...not to mention good DDR2 ram is hard to come by at a decent price. Unless things changed drastically.

Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting