Author Topic: Eventual Laptop  (Read 6948 times)

Offline LAZ Trooper

• Must... keep... mapping... o_o
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 23
  • Standing at the ready when Flemoids attack.
Eventual Laptop
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:20:05 PM »
Sometime this year, probably more like fall, I'll be wanting or needing to get a laptop. I don't really have any requirements, except something rather inexpensive (~$500). I don't do a lot of gaming, but pretty much anything will make my current games run better than on this computer. XD
I'm kind of leaning towards Lenovo, but that's just because both my siblings have Lenovos (technically my brother's an IBM, but it's from when they were the same ThinkPad). Consumer Reports says that Gateway NV57H26U (Core i5-2410M, 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive, $450) is good, but do any of you have any suggestions?

Also, will my old games still work on Windows 7? Mainly just SimCity 4 and a couple others, maybe my old 90's games too.
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
Re: Eventual Laptop
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:21:55 PM »
BC won't be singing Lenovo's praises...calling it right now XD

Thinkpads are pretty awesome, and I had one of the last IBM thinkpads, and it was awesome. AFAIK, they kinda started dropping in quality, but they're still good hardware in a classic type design. I still like em, but they're not quite what they used to be...

Gateway...meh. Its not much of a frontline brand like it used to be, and I'd steer clear from em.

My favorites are ASUS and Toshiba, in that order. But Asus, while very VERY good computers, are expensive. Toshibas can be found with good pricetopower ratios, and are rather durable.

That's my 2 cents.

But you're going to have a problem with games, especially the older ones. Yes, compatibility is MUCH improved from Windows Vista, but its not perfect, and since most modern laptops use 64bit OS, there goes ANY 16bit support you had, and some older games have strange dependencies on these things...

You do have really good virtualization options, though. If you have a copy of Windows 98 or 2k, or even an old XP you haven't used in awhile, you can virtualize it, full speed, even with hardware graphics acceleration. VirtualBox is pretty amazing. And it'll run perfectly with anything you want, and is free.

That's what i've got.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline LAZ Trooper

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 12:14:20 AM »
@Lenovo: My sister's laptop does have some problems that my brother and I get very annoyed by but she just lives with (all she needs to do is take to the college techs), but it depends on what deals I find.

@Games: Older game support is exactly why we have an extra computer set up in the basement with Windows 98, just to run some games that XP can't do. I think I'd pretty much be fine with not having games on my laptop except for SimCity 4, which, although my playing of it comes in bursts, is probably my most involved game, with all the mods and plugins I've gotten.

Current Projects:
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 12:56:01 AM »
yeah, who knows? Just google and see if there are any compat issues. You'd be surprised what works sometimes...

Offline LAZ Trooper

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 01:02:04 AM »
Hmm, a quick search and read yields that even in compatibility mode it's hit-and-miss. Well, we'll probably have this slow thing for years to come anyway, and then I'll hopefully eventually get my own desktop and maybe get XP on it.

Current Projects:

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 01:19:17 AM »
I can speak from experience about Simcity 4.

It works just fine on Vista for me, and since 7 is supposed to have better compatibility, i guess it'd probably work fine on their too.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
I'm sure there's a SimCity compatibility mod for Win7 out there, seeing as 4 is the last true SimCity.

Lenovo's are nice, they look fancy and work fine, though I know BC has much higher praise when ThinkPads used to be IBM. If you see a good one and the ratings are high, I don't see why not, though Asus and Toshiba are good too.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline LAZ Trooper

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 07:11:30 PM »
Lenovo's are nice, they look fancy and work fine, though I know BC has much higher praise when ThinkPads used to be IBM. If you see a good one and the ratings are high, I don't see why not, though Asus and Toshiba are good too.
I think the only problem my brother's IBM ThinkPad has are the hinges, which he's already replaced once and are failing again.

Looking at Consumer Reports' ratings, 15 to 16 inch Toshibas are all over $1000 and have Blu-Ray drives, and the only Asus' they tested were 13-inch. I should probably figure out how big a screen I want.

Current Projects:

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 09:34:48 PM »
...That's a lie about the Toshibas.

We sell, at Staples i5 toshibas for about 600$, and we got my sister a quad AMD for about 650. You can drop to a lower config for 400-500, and they're still nice.

Consumer reports must not do a wide range or something O_o

Offline LAZ Trooper

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 10:17:06 PM »
Actually, this is out of the "Select Ratings", which are only the best of the 99 models they tested. Apparently 72 are best. :P

Current Projects:

Offline matthias720

• Mr. Whaleware
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 33
  • Up! Up! And ...
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 10:27:18 AM »
For what it's worth, if you raise your price range a little bit, you might try an HP laptop.
:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware

Offline xbolt

• The Man with the Beard
  • Administrator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 78
  • Honor the Fallen
    • The Page of Xbolt
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 01:16:51 PM »
For what it's worth, if you raise your price range a little bit, you might try an HP laptop.

Although, I don't think that's exactly a wise choice...

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 03:21:43 PM »
In all honesty, the only laptop company with quality today is ASUS. Or you can go Apple, if you want to drop a huge chunk of change.
Toshiba is going down, hp/compaq, gateway, dell...all going down horribly in overall quality, support, and strength. Lenovo is okay...but they're starting to bring in 'cheap' laptop ideas that are weakening its power...you got Acer, but they're usually kind of the 'budget' laptop, and I don't recommend them either.

But its just the world we live in today, and the standards we have. They sell low quality laptops to the average joe, and then the people who really want and need the power, they jack the prices up too high.

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 08:44:42 PM »

Although, I don't think that's exactly a wise choice...

Yeah, don't even get me started on HP customer service...

@Atarian: And the thing is, you've still got overbloated overpriced pieces of crap like Alienware still making the rounds too. ><
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline matthias720

• Mr. Whaleware
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 33
  • Up! Up! And ...
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 01:42:21 PM »
I mentioned HP, 'cause I love my HP laptop, and I feel it's good quality. As for tech support, I don't use it. Why use a service that is, no doubt, run by nitwits, when you could fix the problem yourself.
:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting