Author Topic: Setting up a Linux server  (Read 6004 times)

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
Re: Setting up a Linux server
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 04:02:05 PM »
It came with nano (I realized this too late), but after all the time of downloading the required packages for Mumble, qmake crashes with an error I can't get out of, and then it KPs every time I try to turn the computer on again.

I'm switching backwards to Debian Squeeze. Hopefully that'll work a bit smoother. If not, I've yet to understand what is making it kernel panic. Sometimes its USB, sometimes Firewire, sometimes hard drive controller...IDK.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 07:19:33 PM »
It came with nano (I realized this too late), but after all the time of downloading the required packages for Mumble, qmake crashes with an error I can't get out of, and then it KPs every time I try to turn the computer on again.

I'm switching backwards to Debian Squeeze. Hopefully that'll work a bit smoother. If not, I've yet to understand what is making it kernel panic. Sometimes its USB, sometimes Firewire, sometimes hard drive controller...IDK.

Well dang. You can get Windows ME up and running like clockwork, but Linux is a wild animal to you. Hope it works out.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 10:51:49 PM »
Heh, i'm a contradiction, no?

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 30
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 11:09:08 AM »
I remember not having sudo in FreeBSD, I definitely prefer sudo over su, I guess it's a rather new command in Ubuntu.

I hope Debian is easier for you, I don't have much advice to give regarding Mac hardware, other than "try to disable strange hardware you don't need and see what happens". I've never used a Mac computer.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline Richie

• Administrator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 04:26:17 PM »
I remember not having sudo in FreeBSD, I definitely prefer sudo over su, I guess it's a rather new command in Ubuntu.

Sudo is actually a package.  So, in FreeBSD, you would use your package manager to install it, and then I believe you have to edit at least one config file to make it work.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 01:44:53 AM »
@sudo: Yes, open root, install sudo, then nano "/etc/sudoers" I believe...just copy the root line and put your name in there with the same permissions.

@situation:

Okay, probably a good time for an update!

So after switching to Debian Squeeze (stable version), it hasn't had a problem since. I also just installed the package instead of trying to build it. PowerPC Debian is very well maintained, with good package support designed and optimized for the PowerPC hardware. The PowerMac really likes it, and actually isn't very utilized...
I was planning on running both Mumble for voice chat AND Minecraft, right? well, I forgot...Minecraft isn't multicore optimized as of yet. As soon as it does so, the PowerMac could probably handle it. However, on sheer single core speed...500Mhz G4 is not enough.

ENTER 1.5GHZ MAC MINI.

Yes! I just out of the blue asked the guy I gave it to if he was still using it much, and he replied that he hadn't used it for awhile, and even asked if I wanted it back.
When I got it, I was wanting a small, compact Mac experience that could handle my music library, access my old iPod, use my firewire hard drive, and maybe do a little video editing and internet. Everything just seemed SO SLOW. Oh so very slow.
So I got rid of it. Gave it away, didn't regret its 1.5Ghz G4 with 1GB memory, ATI Radeon 9000 32MB, combo drive, 80GB HDD, or Airport extreme with bluetooth. Not. One. bit.
Till I realized that I only needed a few more megahertz G4 to make minecraft run smoothly enough to be useful. So from 500Mhz dual core, I go to 1500Mhz single core.

After I mess around with it some and re test it, I'll be loading it with debian and adding it to the 'mini data center' I've started in my desk shelf. I'm also very pleased about the power consumption: From ~600W continuous down to 200W MAX, and lightweight servers that won't suck up bandwidth...I'm amazed.
The only thing to make it better would be some Xserves, but those are wicked expensive, even today, and the G4 Cube is my next object of desire...(with decent upgrading and a cooling fan, it could be a great Debian server, too.)

Yeah, G4 Fever in full swing...

Offline Richie

• Administrator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 01:54:48 PM »
@sudo: Yes, open root, install sudo, then nano "/etc/sudoers" I believe...just copy the root line and put your name in there with the same permissions.

(This just came to me.)  In addition, I believe you have to add your user to a certain member group.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting