Author Topic: Core Tuning  (Read 2369 times)

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
Core Tuning
« on: May 02, 2012, 12:56:28 AM »
Hey, I was just curious, I've had a multi-core processor for a while now (well, who doesn't XD), and I don't know the first thing about tuning it. I've heard that their not always optimized on windows, and the performance of my PC seems to echo that :P

So, can anyone give me some pointers or something?
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
Re: Core Tuning
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:55:42 PM »
To be honest, I've never heard such a thing except maybe that Windows XP wasn't designed with multicores in mind...but Windows Vista and 7 are, and take advantage of that to the max.

If you built your PC, you can overclock it some...but IDK about this :/
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 09:53:41 PM »
To be honest "tuning your CPU for max performance" sounds like the BS those spam ads spew out at you on tech sites. You can overclock a CPU but that's it. Some programs aren't optimized for a multicore setup.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 10:18:20 PM »
To be honest, this sentence is preceded by an overused phrase I need to stop using XD

but in a nutshell, yes. no. No real 'tuning' to be done.

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 01:31:09 AM »
Oh, alright, thanks! Can anyone tip me on overclocking?
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 04:44:27 PM »
All depends on your motherboard. You did build a PC, right? (commercial boards can't overclock, usually)

But general ideas on overclocking: see if you have an unlocked multiplier. If you do, try increasing it a bit (just know that Overclocking makes ALOT of extra heat, and leaving that heat unchecked can shorten the life of the processor. If you don't already have a better fan, don't go much over a few hundred megahertz extra.).

If you don't have unlocked multiplier, chances are its already running at its max. Your bios should tell you what the max is. Then, increase the Front Side Bus speed in small increments: 10 to 15mhz.

Also, something to watch out for is your memory speed. When you increase the FSB, it will make the memory run faster. This usually ISN'T a good idea, as memory is designed around special timings. So, the guide I used said to just tweak around with whatever memory settings you have to get the speed a little under or a little over its normal speed.  (**BTW, if anyone can get me help on overclocking memory safely, let me know)

After you make sure everything is good, just boot into windows and run a stress test like Prime95. Make sure you have a temperature tool running as well. Look around online for your processor's max temperature, and then take about 10 degrees from that. If you get anywhere NEAR that number during the stress testing, back your overclock down a few megahertz, and try again. Or, get better cooling. I'm using one of the Corsair Hydro coolers (self-contained water cooling), and I'm running at the maximum my board can handle, and even under overclock it doesn't reach but 55 or so Celsius. With a max of 80, I'm in good shape.

That's pretty generic, but a better idea is to go looking for overclock guides based on your processor and chipset. I've got a 775 processor and a P43 chipset, and I'm limited as to what I can do by the chipset. There's also diferent special things you have to tweak that are features of the different chipsets and processors, so a specific guide would be better for you.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting