Author Topic: So I have ackquired a laptop...  (Read 1760 times)

Offline rexxor

• Interesting.
  • Quadrumpus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 89
  • -Receive: 18
  • I do stuff.
So I have ackquired a laptop...
« on: June 05, 2012, 11:41:32 PM »
Not really a tech support, but it's techy enough to post here.

I sold/traded my laptop for money because I don't use it, in addition the trader also gave me his Virus infected latpop.
So I figured I'd just wipe it. throw an OS on it and call it square. but now it seems like the actually HDD is bad, I've tried installing Win7 Pro x86 and it freezes on start up. I then tried installing PCLinuxOS, which gives a strange error when installing. So I'm downloading an image of x64 win7 pro. So once I try that I might have to get another internal HDD for this thing, its an Inspiron 1545, so it's not terribly old, but its not terribly new either. Either way, it's something I can use for work, and spreadsheets etc. I already has a kickbutt gaming rig anyway XD

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
Re: So I have ackquired a laptop...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 04:35:38 PM »
I thought I had written a response...hmm.

Aside the fact that its Dell (ick), the 1545s are pretty slick little laptops. As long as its in good shape, y'kno?

But yeah, hard drives are always fun if going bad. If anything, I'd put a more vintage or unique OS on it if you just need spreadsheets and stuff. If you can find a download of any of the Longhorn betas (non Vista), they are awesome, and compatible with many programs and drivers ~XP SP2. I had an Inspiron 1300 running Longhorn 4034 (I think) for a long time, and everything worked nicely on it.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline rexxor

• Interesting.
  • Quadrumpus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 89
  • -Receive: 18
  • I do stuff.
Re: So I have ackquired a laptop...
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 10:53:21 PM »
Well sadly, the HDD is dead, as I am afraid and the 2.5'' HDDs on Newegg to match its capacity are rather...pricey. So I either can boot it with Puppy linux, or save some money to get it a proper drive. I'll probably do the ladder. All I need right now is something I can use RDP on and do timesheets, and web browsing on. So I have this desktop I can put ubuntu on.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting