Author Topic: iPad decision  (Read 5048 times)

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
iPad decision
« on: July 24, 2012, 03:42:52 AM »
I've got a rather large purchase opportunity coming up and I'd rather not blow it so I figured I'd get some decent input.

Yes, after spending ages in older, portable technology...I've decided to sink into a modern solution. I've chosen a horrible time to do so, but I've decided that Windows 8 is not for me, so I'll stick with another tablet solution, hence my dilemma.

Large question is Android, or iOS?

My current Android experience is dreadful at best. Even on a relatively older phone, I've had absolutely nothing as far as apps go. They all have mediocre quality at best, which I'm kind of blaming on the ease of development, and the openness of the store. Honestly, I think that's a good thing. But when the apps turn out so horribly, I very seriously question my ability to find the applications I really want on a mobile platform. With iOS, I know that the things I want to do are very easily achieved though what I've seen other people have, and though a little research. Android constantly turns up blanks in the areas of good featured apps at decent prices that do things I'd like.

I've decided also that if I went iPad, I'd just sink the money now and get the newest one, with 32GB space (not the top notch, but not bottom tier either...decent storage for what I'll do). That would also minimize the terrible things that are going on with my mother's iPad 1. Its just a tad sluggish on the newest software and doing app things. Its still carrying on like a champ, and for what she uses it for it'll be fine for years to come, but I'll be using this thing every day as my major mobile computing solution.

The ASUS G73 laptop has proven to be too bulky and power hungry to use as an effective moving workstation, so I'm going to be leaving it in my dorm mostly, out only for my computing class (where I'll welcome the Xcode environment of developing that will be running via virtual machine). The tablet solution I get will have to handle notes, presentations, music, video, internet, and importantly to me: video and editing. Also, one of those amp/effects bits would be nice for my guitar and bass. That's where it gets tricky. I know that iPad has iLife and iWork, great, decently cheap apps that do the things I would need. I even found a case that, strangely enough, makes the iPad quite like an eMate 300 (Apple Newton-based education laptop that had touchscreen and keyboard built all in). Android is just so tricky.

Another major factor? price. I could buy three amazing Android tablets/phones for the price of one iPad + accessories...like a case, keyboard, vga adapter, etc. But with Android, they're constantly evolving faster than I'd like. Same with Apple, but at a much slower rate.

IDK. I'm rambling. I could assume I'm portraying a good reason to go Apple right now, but can someone give me the bits to prove me wrong?
What's some advice?
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline matthias720

• Mr. Whaleware
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 33
  • Up! Up! And ...
Re: iPad decision
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 09:29:34 AM »
A coworker of mine is an Android guru, and I'm pretty sure he'd tell you that what makes Android superior is the sheer number of options that you can use to mod it to suit your preferences. Basically, it's possible to create your own custom version of Android that utilizes only the portions of code that you want to use, tailoring it to your specifications. Also, it's ridiculously easy to try new versions of Android by simply flashing your device with a new image of the OS.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I know these are the major points that attract me towards Android. I figured they might attract you as well.
:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 10:24:28 AM »
TBH, this has been the same thing that has made my liking Linux so hard.
Actually, its the exact same thing.

So I can mod the OS...in fact, I could completely rewrite most of the OS (if I knew what I was doing). And I can add what features I want, and optimize it like crazy...but what about the applications? As far as good quality, polished applications that can actually do what you need, especially into the range of heavy media applications...I can't find anything decent. That's NOT to say that apps don't exist...I just went looking for both an Android video editor (two very unpromising apps), and a Linux video editor (three decent looking ones). But when I look at how they work, and how the interface works, its just not very good in comparison to what happens on Windows and Mac.

Just doing a quick search, I come up with more quality video editing apps for iOS (both old and new versions) that work great.

I have done my hardest to appreciate android, but as I can't appreciate Linux as much for the same reasons, its hard.

(OFF: really, the only version of Linux thus far that I've kind of enjoyed has been straight Debian on my server. Its just classic terminal, and it works for classic terminal stuff. I don't ask too much of it. But is it too much to expect to find my favorite applications on a desktop platform?)

Offline chexquestisawful

• N00B at modding, PWNR at playing!
  • Larva
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Read the Bible
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 10:32:25 AM »
I think that going with iOS will be your best bet. My next door neighbor has an iPad and an iPod Touch, and loves both of them. I've used them both also, and they are excellent tools. The app store has an excellent selection of apps, but not so huge that you'll be finding crappy apps everywhere. The main reason for this is that Apple runs quality control on their app store, not allowing the poorly-made apps to be entered. With Android, any average joe can write an Android app and post it to the store; which is nice for some things, but more than annoying in other cases.

Another thing to think about is the fragmentation of Android. I mean, look at the stats! Less than 8% of people have Jelly Bean(the next-to-most-recent update), and less than 3% have Ice Cream Sandwich(the most recent update). You never hear about these kind of issues with Apple.

Finally, you might want to wait perhaps at least a few months to get new stuff, because one thing I noticed about your post is that you didn't mention BlackBerry as an option. BlackBerry is actually coming out with their new BB10 OS soon, and it's gonna be BIG!!! So, just something to think about.

Overall, I say, either go with iOS, or wait a few months for the new BlackBerry to come out.
John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 11:59:25 AM »
RIM is tanking. I wouldn't trust anything Blackberry anymore. Besides, they have nothing in terms of apps

Basically Atarian, your arguments sum up the crux of the Android vs iOS battle. iOS is without a doubt more polished and fluid (albeit more pricey as a result). You can find what you need on Android, but your mileage may vary. I know I've found some nice task-scheduling apps and music players and such, but no idea on editing.

My friend loves his Android tablet, but he doesn't go hard into editing and heavy work like you might want, so I'm afraid I can't help you too much here.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • same old innocence
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 01:22:53 PM »
Posting from my iPad: Apple, IMHO, is the only one out there offering the full package. Android may seem like a great OS to some, but try finding it on a proper piece of hardware.

At work, we avoid Android like the plague due to lack of support, subpar hardware choices, horrendous security, and an all around buggy user experience. Our iPads are great though.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 08:19:32 PM »
Part of me still clings to my wallet, unwilling to let go...

But I'm really disappointed in Android, as well. So much meh with it.

And please, with all these glaring issues with Android devices...TELL ME WHY ITS GOING TO BE PART OF MY CURRICULUM FOR JAVA PROGRAMMING. ;_;  I don't understand the huge need to abandon C, at least in my classes...I really liked C++, the little we did of it. And in fact, I was looking ahead to C#, or Objective C. Nope. I've got a future in Java, it seems. Despite my utter HATE of it for all its issues on my favorite platform. (PowerPC does not like the Javaz) Anyways, Thanks to work being ever so much fail, I won't be staying there as long as I was planning. Much MUCH shorter. But that means no income, and makes me have to be UBER FRUGAL. This also means I can't afford to just dish out the payment on the iPad.

My parents said as some form of 'gift', I would get 200$ from them to put towards the tablet. I've got 140$ of 'free money' that I got from family over vacation. I will probably get another 150$, or possibly 200$ (if I'm really lucky) in birthday money at the end of august, and that would leave me at needing just 100$ to cover the cost.

~490$ in 'free' money. The other 110 or so would be what comes from my account. I'd be getting no other accessory except probably a sturdy case...and oh my gosh this is friggin awesome. I mean look! Its a nice, hard case that can handle landscape and portrait, with a decent sized keyboard, and its got a HANDLE. A HANDLE, MAN.

http://www.mactivist.com/sites/mactivist.com/files/imagecache/watermark/images/new/Mactivist_iBook_gallery_10.png
http://www.applefritter.com/files/images//emate13-4424_0.jpg

Oh yeah...especially that last one... :D

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 11:12:39 AM »
Oh that case looks awesome!

Yeah I don't know why if you're learning C you would go back to Java. I mean, Java is very precise and forgiving, but C is so much more efficient and powerful T_T

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 07:21:47 PM »
So true. Man I love C++
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 11:42:51 PM »
Well, if I remember the curriculum correctly, you either started with VisualBasic or Alice (some java based thing). That was just to teach you basic program design, and how to think through problems like a computer or something. Next up was C++, for very basic programming, functions, and an introduction to data structures. Java is what they're going to do most of the 'hardcore' programming stuff in, and supposedly is the first 'major' language they'll teach us to make GUIs with, and it'll have a section on android programming. Goody.

Then I think you can go elsewhere, to other languages. I'm hopping right back onto C, hopefully Objective C

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • same old innocence
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 11:41:54 AM »
You code monkeys are making me grin. I don't know a darn thing about languages anymore so I'm always happy to run across some code talk. Nothing to contribute, carry on. :)

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 12:27:47 AM »
Well, From my limited knowledge of everything...

Most languages require you to run a compiler. That is, you are just using an easier format that can be then turned into machine code that the processor actually understands. Java is 'better' because everything runs in what they call a VM. Instead of having to put a full exe program into effect, you can run code realtime within the VM, and get output.

The problem is that its designed to work in real time, and...most things can't handle that.

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 12:36:22 AM »
Well, From my limited knowledge of everything...

Most languages require you to run a compiler. That is, you are just using an easier format that can be then turned into machine code that the processor actually understands. Java is 'better' because everything runs in what they call a VM. Instead of having to put a full exe program into effect, you can run code realtime within the VM, and get output.

The problem is that its designed to work in real time, and...most things can't handle that.

Yeah. Things like python are interpreted on call too, except they don't make use of the touted VM that is supposedly Java's crowning achievement, since it's supposed to run on everything because of the VM. The whole VM part slows down the code, though, unlike a lower-level language like C which gets more quickly to the heart of the matter. Assembly's fastest and most efficient of course, but no one can read it. XD

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 01:57:12 AM »
MY GOAL: LEARN x86, RISC, and M68K ASSEMBLY...AND BE ABLE TO READ IT. >:D

Yeah, when I get to that step, it'll be interesting. That is something I'd like to do, very good, deep programming on my favorite architectures.

Offline Richie

• Administrator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 10:23:59 AM »
Atari: You might be able to get a student discount from Apple, or even from your school.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting