Author Topic: iPad decision  (Read 5050 times)

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
Re: iPad decision
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 09:34:47 PM »
I was planning a trip to the Apple store at some point in time...Would be good to ask.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 30
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 12:30:32 AM »
The ASUS G73 laptop has proven to be too bulky and power hungry to use as an effective moving workstation, so I'm going to be leaving it in my dorm mostly, out only for my computing class (where I'll welcome the Xcode environment of developing that will be running via virtual machine).

A few things I should mention...

I've researched trying to run XCode on Windows, before eventually buying my macbook for the sole purpose of developing for the iphone. from what I saw, some people have hacked Lion using virtual machines, but from what I saw it only worked temporarily and not very well, I considered running a virtual machine and found that it was actually much easier, safer, and more worth my money to buy a macbook pro to develop code on. With that said you can expect to spend at least another $600 on a Mac Mini (I recommend something better, it's rather weak) if you want to develop code for mac the right way.

[Guessing]

I remember reading something in the documentation that said that if the user had an operating system that was just .1 away from the OS I had, they would need to upgrade, that's something you need to consider -- Apple is not very flexible, XCode seems to be built for a very specific operating system build, and it's possible that an older XCode won't support the version of iOS that your ipad runs on, it wouldn't be impossible to keep everything synchronized, or hack in an upgrade, but it seemed like a bad idea, I'm not sure how devastating an old compiler would be to a newer iOS, but it seems unlikely that apple would write their software to be backwards compatible if they put that warning right on their docs.

I'm not sure if XCode can write anything except Objective C, that's all I've used it for, in my very limited experience with it. I'd recommend that you check into that.

[/Guessing]

Also if you actually want to DOWNLOAD to your apple device it will cost you an additional $100/year, you can test your program out on the simulator as much as you like for free (provided you have a apple computer to run XCode on, or a more reliable hack than I've seen) but if you want to test it on the actual hardware you'll need to join the apple developer program, which costs money. However, that includes the cost of publishing it on the Apple store if you want to do that.

I currently have an iphone, the ipad runs the same operating system. I'm still adjusting to it so I can't really comment much on it, but it seems quite robust and rich in features, I was particularly impressed with how accurate the gyroscope was and how good the camera is; really it's quite an amazing device for how small it is, I imagine the iPad is even more powerful, I'm consdering buying one myself because the game I'm thinking of making would be much easier to see and possibly more interesting to play on the ipad.

I gave up rather quickly on trying to run mac in a virtual PC because I didn't want to start my first attempts at programming apple products with a hack, but if you do find something that works, I'd be interested to find out if there really is a way to run a mac virtual PC on windows -- currently my macbook brings the number of computers I need to bring on business trips to 3, and a total combined value for me of ~$3000, so if there is a way to just use my powerful windows computer it would save me a lot of risk.

(I don't regret buying the mac though, it's been a rather pleasant experience using it so far)

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:45:36 AM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 01:16:57 AM »
I wrote to much in response to that, but my basics were as thus:

I'm not a professional developer. I barely know enough code to make an adding program, much less anything of real worth. Therefore, tis not really worth me having a full dev environs, yeah? My favorite part of Xcode is its debugging, which is a heck of a lot more intuitive and responsive than Visual Studio's. TBH, before I put Lion on my G73, I was running an ancient version of Xcode on my PowerBook G4 Titanium, a 10 year old computer, and it still was more responsive than the G73 running Visual Studio. iOS app development is merely a desire, but its nowhere near me ATM. In fact, its a few years out at my current rate, and by then, something else might come along and I'll be very glad I didn't blow money now just for wishful thinking. You got usage now? Great! Go grab the best hardware you can for the job...in fact, its what I do. If I need to do photo editing, my iMac can't be beat. I need to do serious video editing, my SKWD rig runs Vegas like a champ. If I want to type papers, any classic PowerBook of mine works to perfection. When I game, either my SKWD or my G73 does fine, in any situation.

But what I don't need to do right now is a job of coding. So...anything will work. Whatever I can find. I had C++ IDEs on every computer in my dorm room at one point, just to find which one was smoothest to use. The PowerBook G4 won out, until I loaded Lion onto the G73, and then its capability exceeded the G4. But I used Macintosh Programers Workshop on my iMac G3, Xcode on my G4, CodeWarrior on my PowerBook G3, VisualStudio on my G73...

And yeah, Xcode is very specific about its iOS versions and how the coding can work. AFAIK, developing an app on an older version of Xcode would just mean you don't get access to all the fancy new features Apple adds every update. If you could somehow load it, it would still run. Its why old apps that haven't updated from early iPhone days can still run fine on modern hardware. And Xcode could, as of a few months ago, still write programs in Java and C++...I was looking at both (and using the C++ one). There's also at least two more, but as my laptop still isn't reachable (buried in a pile of junk), I couldn't tell ya now.

The only thing I didn't know was that physical app testing isn't possible without the paid developers account. I thought that you could test to a personal device, but news to me, thanks for the tip.

Its also good to hear that you think iOS is robust. You usually have an amazingly high standard for stuff.

Final note: I think that VMWare currently has some of the smoothest running OS X machines yet. Usually their paid software, but its still possible, and was going to be my next look when I had the time to do so. Some of the most fully operational machines (if not wholly fully operational) are on VMWare Workstation. Check it out on Youtube.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 30
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 09:18:10 PM »
I didn't know that older versions of apps work on newer versions of iOS, good to hear. I hope I won't need to buy a new phone to be sure my code will still work, if I do though, I could just buy another one when I was getting close to release, the 4S should be enough for me to make something on.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting