journey of legends and TUCQ without doom.wad

Started by Danfun64, May 16, 2013, 03:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danfun64

I noticed that in zdoom and its derivatives (like zandronum) whenever I load certain pwads, like the ones mentioned, on chex.wad or chex3.wad, I am unable to switch weapons. While this problem doesn't occur in doom.wad, I would like to avoid using it if possible (don't ask). I don't know much about how zdoom handles these things, so what should I do?

Replica

What are the steps you're using to load them?

If you're using Chex.wad or Chex3.wad, then the games won't work correctly. You'll need to rename Chex.wad to "doomu.wad" for the mods to work correctly. TUCQ and JOL where also made for GZDoom, so a lot of the features will be missing if you play it in ZDoom; some of which will make the games unbeatable. I'm not familiar with Zandronum's features, so I couldn't tell you if they'll work with that.

I'm not sure if that'll fix your problem. I haven't followed Zdoom's updates, nor have I updated JOL for many years now. It may just be too outdated to work. :-\
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

MajorSlime

Zandronum has software 3D floors (THANK THE HEAVENS). So, any simple 3D floor will work fine. (I.e. any solid, not sloped 3D floor)
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

The reason why the weapons don't work in zDoom, GZDoom, or Zandronum in CQ:JOL is a bug in Replica's DECORATE coding (no KEYCONF, so the guns don't actually register their spots in the weapon set)

I made a fixed version of it for my personal testing, if Replica doesn't mind me releasing it, I'll post a link.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Danfun64

Quote from: 75 on May 16, 2013, 08:18:18 PM
I made a fixed version of it for my personal testing, if Replica doesn't mind me releasing it, I'll post a link.

Thanks! I would appreciate that.
I think that fixing TUCQR5 is even more important, aside from the changes already made for zandronum compatibility, it explicitly mentions chex.wad AND chex3.wad compatibility. That is far from the case for obvious reasons.

I guess such a fixed version of TUCQR5 would be available with and without the zandronum fixes.

MajorSlime

TUCQ is currently under development as we speak; or at least, it was as of the last progress report :P I'd go recommend making a suggestion over in its sub-forum since Boingo has continued development on it.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

Replica

Quote from: 75 on May 16, 2013, 08:18:18 PM
The reason why the weapons don't work in zDoom, GZDoom, or Zandronum in CQ:JOL is a bug in Replica's DECORATE coding (no KEYCONF, so the guns don't actually register their spots in the weapon set)

I had a KEYCONF. I wonder what happened to it?

Sure, go ahead and release it; and thanks.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

hmm... actually I think you did have a KEYCONF; it wasn't used in the way I typically use KEYCONF (i.e., make a new player class and use KEYCONF to clear and add the new player class with the custom weapon slots) so I replaced with something I knew that worked.

I've heard that you don't really need to make a new player class to replace the weapons, but replacing the player always works.

In this version I also slightly changed the behavior of the zorch can to make it more useful.

The keys still don't work, unfortunately.

Link:

http://www.ifocserv.net/ftp/Random/CQJOL-75SuperFix.wad

Quote from: ChexMaster2109 on May 17, 2013, 12:37:41 AM
TUCQ is currently under development as we speak; or at least, it was as of the last progress report :P I'd go recommend making a suggestion over in its sub-forum since Boingo has continued development on it.

I mentioned it to him, and I think I gave him a code snippet for it, I hope he put it in.

This isn't just for Zandronum compatibility, it's for any zDoom engine
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Replica

It's interesting. I haven't modded in such a long time that I had forgotten how I had set the game up. I don't know if different methods were added after I made the mod, or if I simply didn't have a full grasp on how to mod most efficiently. Most likely the latter.

If I recall correctly, I made keys work through the KEYCONFIG as well. I couldn't tell you what numbers where assigned to each colored key though.

Danfun64

Quote from: 75 on May 17, 2013, 06:26:11 PM

Keys aren't the only thing that don't work. When you put on the "really resistant chex armor", it blinds you, and the only way you can see again is to suicide or use a save game and learn to avoid using it next time.

Despite these flaws, the game works better on chex.wad than it did before you patched it up. Thanks for the effort! I hope that you can fix to remaining issues.

Quote from: Danfun64 on May 17, 2013, 06:51:40 PM
Quote from: 75 on May 17, 2013, 06:26:11 PM

Keys aren't the only thing that don't work. When you put on the "really resistant chex armor", it blinds you, and the only way you can see again is to suicide or use a save game and learn to avoid using it next time.

That's only a problem in OpenGL, in the software renderer it works properly. He uses a very unusual powerup color; interesting. It could be a very mean trick if used elsewhere.

Erm, perhaps it was only software? It only happened in one renderer.

Despite these flaws, the game works better on chex.wad than it did before you patched it up. Thanks for the effort! I hope that you can fix to remaining issues.

I am glad to help.

Replica, feel free to ask me if you need anything. I'd like to see what you would make now that you have more experience.

Danfun64

Quote from: 75 on May 17, 2013, 08:05:48 PM
That's only a problem in OpenGL, in the software renderer it works properly.

Tested it in the software renderer. Still blinding.

huh, that's strange. I must not be remembering it correctly then. It's been a while.

Boingo the Clown

I was just using T.U.C.Q. in GZDooM using ZDL as the launcher. I was able to set T.U.C.Q. as the IWAD and it worked mostly without difficulty, except for the fact the game identified it as the shareware version of DooM and would not allow acces to the other episodes. Using the level hopping cheat (idclev21) got me into episode 2 with no trouble though.

It should be noted that I am (understandably) using a slightly more recent version of T.U.C.Q. than everybody else.