Author Topic: Discussion Topic  (Read 39245 times)

Offline Nisk

• Commonus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Capture Point Maps Discussion
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2014, 06:49:42 PM »
I've noticed a few other things. But does it bother you that I keep coming up with detailed descriptions of features I think you should add, and then picking apart every new release and finding problems before you even have a chance to try it out on the server? I sort of feel like I'm stealing the development of your mod from you.

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2014, 07:15:05 PM »
Not really. It helps me figure out things that I might not have otherwise. Your always welcome to actually hop in and help with it, if you want. :)

I'm currently focused on new maps/the HUB, so my mind isn't really concerned with the entirety of the system atm, so its actually quite helpful that you keep coming up with ideas for it.

Remote access to the server WOULD be nice, if only so I can quickly fix my mistakes >_>, but that's up to 75.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

Offline Nisk

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2014, 08:23:08 PM »
By hop in, do you mean contributing directly to the pk3 somehow?

Offline MajorSlime

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2014, 08:26:20 PM »
Yup. If you have something to add, let me know and send it to me, and I'll put it in.

You seem to understand ACS and Doom modding well, so I wouldn't mind the help :P

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 30
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2014, 08:54:15 PM »
Hey 75, would it be possible to give CM remote console access to the CPS server? I just noticed a bug in the current version so he might have to switch it to a newer version.

I'm willing to give him RCON to the zandronum server, but I can't give him a login to the server itself.

I might be willing to give him access to my local server but right now the CPS server is running on ifocserv.net which is a rather expensive enterprise server that runs all of the zandronum servers and an ftp.  I don't plan on giving anybody access to that (not to mention it has a sort of bizarre setup right now), and unfortunately that's the only way he'd be able to start servers / change wads.

EDIT:
Updated
<[IFOC] Server> Chex Capture Point Alpha (CM2109)
 http://www.ifocserv.net/ftp/wads/CPS-A13r2.pk3
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:04:20 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline Nisk

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2014, 08:58:06 PM »
I wouldn't say I'm good at Doom modding in general. I just started looking at ACS a few weeks ago, but using your examples as well as the ZDoom wiki it wasn't too hard to pick up.

I do have several changes I would like to try. Is there any reason I shouldn't attach the file to post here once it's ready?
I'm willing to give him RCON to the zandronum server, but I can't give him a login to the server itself.

I might be willing to give him access to my local server but right now the CPS server is running on ifocserv.net which is a rather expensive enterprise server that runs all of the zandronum servers and an ftp.  I don't plan on giving anybody access to that (not to mention it has a sort of bizarre setup right now), and unfortunately that's the only way he'd be able to start servers / change wads.
Hmm, that's unfortunate.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:02:31 PM by Nisk »

Offline MajorSlime

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2014, 12:12:29 AM »
No, go for it Nisk. Post it here and I'll give it a look.

@75: is there any way for me to upload a WAD somewhere and have it automatically update? I know that's stretching things, but might as well ask :P

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 69
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2014, 12:27:25 AM »
I find that little  "Goal" to be hard to spot when I am looking for the next capture point to go to.

I am wondering if it is possible to add some kind of attention getting bouncing sprite saying "next target" or something like that to make things easier to spot.

I kind of imagime something similar to Wolfenstein's Aardwolf logo, perhaps with a nice yellow sumburst around it.

Offline MajorSlime

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2014, 01:28:06 AM »
Might work. Also gonna look into making it so that when the goal is off-screen, there's a little arrow at the edge of the screen pointing towards its direction.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 30
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2014, 06:47:53 AM »
@75: is there any way for me to upload a WAD somewhere and have it automatically update? I know that's stretching things, but might as well ask :P

That's actually a little worse than giving you an account in my opinion; I know almost nothing about website programming (php, etc.) and unfortunately I have no time to learn it right now, not to mention I'd rather not have my first experiment be something involving uploads to an ftp and starting servers, because if it glitched out I could go over my bandwidth limit, overload my server's CPU or RAM (both of which are pretty tight right now), or worst case get master ignored.

Most of the stuff I host is permanent stuff, if you really need instant servers you should probably just use best-ever. I'd like to help but I can't keep up with last minute updates.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:52:38 AM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 69
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2014, 09:32:09 AM »
Might work. Also gonna look into making it so that when the goal is off-screen, there's a little arrow at the edge of the screen pointing towards its direction.

I was actually going to suggest that too, but I didn't.

Offline MajorSlime

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2014, 02:04:24 PM »
@75: k, thought as much. I'll just have to send the WAD to you earlier, maybe test it with you and/or Nisk a day or two in advance before Saturday to get any 'stupid' bugs worked out. On that note, is there any way I can quickly contact you Nisk?

Offline Nisk

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2014, 02:26:46 PM »
Steam is probably fastest, but if you don't already use it then that would be silly.

I can give you my email, but I probably check the forums just as often.

Actually, if we're both going to be working on it, setting up a repository on Bitbucket might not be a bad idea. Are you familiar with the concept?

Offline MajorSlime

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2014, 04:26:08 PM »
I'm familiar with the concept of GitHub. But not much. XD

And steam works. My Steam user name is "Major Slime [CM]" and I have the same icon on steam as I do here. I really need to make a new non-crappy icon...
EDIT: Eh, new icons iffy... I'll fix it up more later.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:47:12 PM by ChexMaster2109 »

Offline Nisk

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
I haven't actually used a version control system before either, but after reading hginit.com I think Mercurial sounds like a good idea. (Bitbucket is just a service for hosting the central repository.)

It could be a bit overkill but I think it would be cool to try out. If you're interested I've already created a repository that I can share with you if you make a Bitbucket account.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting