Bugs In Chex Quest 3

Started by arch129, September 08, 2008, 11:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batmanifestdestiny

It might have something to do with playing it through Steam.  I'll try it in and out of Steam.

UPDATE: I think that it was the combination of running through Steam, and being in fullscreen, for it works fine now :)

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!

Manny Cav

I completed another run through the fifteen levels. I must say that I'm very impressed with your creative fixes to many of the secret door issues, like the E2M4 hole in the wall, the new E2M5 switches, just everything. What we have here is a world-class freeware game that could easily sale for $20-$30. Great work, Chukker!

I will update the list and remove fixed bugs. There are also some new things (or perhaps things I missed before) that I'll list here.

• Rather than replace the current set of IFOG spirtes, you added a new set, which means there are two IFOGA0s, IFOGB0s, etc.
  • E1M4: The switch at the end of the level seems to be hard to activate sometimes.
  • E1M5: If you compare the original chex.wad E1M5 to the current one, you'll notice that a LAZ Device is missing in the hidden slime area near the Flembrane. It currently contains four BWAs and a Super Chex Armor.
  • E2M1: The elevator near the beginning of the level that leads to the region with the red key exhibits unusual behavior. You can't use it from the bottom area, but you can goad a Flemoid into stepping onto it, which will lower it. However, this works only once. Once a Flemoid or the player has used the lift once, it can't be lowered again.
  • E2M3: The large building structure you made doesn't render well as long distances, such as when viewed near the exit in the maze. It tends to move around in 'bands.'
  • E2M5: At X: 102, Y: -2171, Z: 30, the door near the elevator with the bowl of fruit isn't marked in some fashion as a door on the side with the bowl of fruit.
  • E2M5: The two trap doors near the red key door can be opened manually by Flemoids. This most notably affected the first one, where, sometimes, the door will be open by the time the player gets to it, rendering the trap moot. The trap doors in the maze containing the red key also seem to exhibit this behavior.
  • E3M4: Two rendering anomalies can be found in the screenshot uploaded here. There's a strange strand of texture going up to the top of the screen, and the tree nearest to the left edge is also too close to the rock wall, causing it to be clipped. It needs to be a little farther out.
  • E3M5: Misaligned tracks (tracks that appear to have improper horizontal offsets) on doors can be found throughout the level.
  • Not a Chex Quest 3 bug per se, but the two Doom Builder configuration files you made have some slight inconsistencies. There's a hyphen in "Mini-Zorch Pack," which causes an error in the order. "Propulsor Zorch Pack" and "Propulsor Zorch Recharge" both have the "Propulsor" and "Zorch" out of order. "Zorchpack" is also spelled "Zorchpak" in Chex Quest nomenclature. "Bootspork" is actually called "Super Bootspork." "Slime Repellant" should be "Slime Repellent." "Slime-Proof Suit" should be "Slimeproof Suit." "Computer map" should be "Computer Area Map." "Slimey Urn" should be "Slimy Urn" (though it's worthy of note that "Super Slimey" is also misspelled). "Stalagtite" should be "Stalactite." I know that's a lot, but I have found myself using the Doom Builder 1 configuration file regularly, and some of those throw me off a bit and make things a bit more complicated.

I wasn't able to produce a crash on E1M4, so what BMD says is probably true, especially considering that Atariangamer has Steam, as well (he also experienced the E1M4 crash).
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

I didn't run it THROUGH Steam, tho...and I also encountered another level end error...

I went to E2M3, and tried to get a good shot of the rendering errors (I thought ZDooM was limit removing...), and then started getting shot at by flemoids. I typed in "KILL ALL", but it didn't work like it should have. so i tried something else, but hit enter too soon, and killed myself...however, upon hitting the use key, it froze in the same fashion as E1M4.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Manny Cav

Quote from: Atariangamer on June 15, 2009, 01:41:42 PM
I didn't run it THROUGH Steam, tho...and I also encountered another level end error...
It could be that simply running Steam and Chex Quest 3 at the same time doesn't work well. I didn't experience any crashes in my 15-level play-through.

I went to E2M3, and tried to get a good shot of the rendering errors (I thought ZDooM was limit removing...), and then started getting shot at by flemoids. I typed in "KILL ALL", but it didn't work like it should have. so i tried something else, but hit enter too soon, and killed myself...however, upon hitting the use key, it froze in the same fashion as E1M4.
The command you was trying to use is KILL MONSTERS. As for the level freezing, see my previous note.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Quote from: Manny Cav on June 15, 2009, 02:12:16 PM
It could be that simply running Steam and Chex Quest 3 at the same time doesn't work well. I didn't experience any crashes in my 15-level play-through.

You might be on to something. None of the other CQ3s had a problem, but this time when I had Steam and CQ3 running at the same time, it lagged sometimes. I remember some other problem, but I can't remember what it was. I'll run through it again.

It should be noted that Steam has just been updated, so it could be either program's fault.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

ChexCommander

Quote from: Manny Cav on June 15, 2009, 11:58:26 AM
  • E2M1: The elevator near the beginning of the level that leads to the region with the red key exhibits unusual behavior. You can't use it from the bottom area, but you can goad a Flemoid into stepping onto it, which will lower it. However, this works only once. Once a Flemoid or the player has used the lift once, it can't be lowered again.

Manny, I don't think this is an error. The elevator isn't meant to go down from the lower level, since it would allow you to obtain the red key at the beginning of the game. Once you get through to the red key from the top, and walk on the elevator, it will lower just for convenience's sake. However, your goading a flemoid into walking on the elevator wasn't meant for another body to use it, and must be coded to lower for any being that walks onto it.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Manny Cav

Quote from: ChexCommander on June 15, 2009, 05:24:39 PM
Quote from: Manny Cav on June 15, 2009, 11:58:26 AM

Manny, I don't think this is an error. The elevator isn't meant to go down from the lower level, since it would allow you to obtain the red key at the beginning of the game. Once you get through to the red key from the top, and walk on the elevator, it will lower just for convenience's sake. However, your goading a flemoid into walking on the elevator wasn't meant for another body to use it, and must be coded to lower for any being that walks onto it.
I'm sure that Chukker didn't mean for the player to be able to shortcut through half the level. What I'm mainly pointing out is the fact that Flemoids can use the lift and let the player take the shortcut anyway (Though I'm not sure if you can actually tell a lift that a Flemoid can't use it. Every lift I've ever seen can be used by monsters.), and that the lift works only once.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

Oh, you can go up the lift after a flemoid brings it down? Hmm...

Well, if you don't want to take the shortcut, you don't have to, I guess...
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

you can probably add a no monsters tag to the activation...

Replica

Actually, he needs to remove a flag. ~Monster Activates. You where close though. :)
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Manny Cav

The bugs, inconsistencies, and other anomalies are beginning to wane down. Here's what I found in my latest run through. The top one is the only carry-over from the last report.

• E2M3: The large building structure you made doesn't render well as long distances, such as when viewed near the exit in the maze. It tends to move around in 'bands.'
  • E1M4: The new vines you added in the large room near the start leave black lines at the bottom of the patches.
  • E1M5: This is an old-school bug, but the two Bipedici guarding a non-hidden yellow key are hung. You could either move them down into the pit, or make the cliff they're on larger, but the first option moots the whole guarding thing, and enlarging the cliff removes some of the difficulty of safely crossing it without falling down.
  • E2M1: The elevator near the beginning of the level is still one-time use.
  • E2M4: This is another old-school bug, but the door leading to the red key should be activated by a nearby switch. However, it can be simply opened by the player using it like a regular door, defeating the purpose of the switch.
  • E2M5: Many of the trap doors in the maze containing the red key activate early if the player approaches the red key.
  • E2M5: You blocked off the drop-off in the final arena so players can't drop down, but there is no guard rail, fence, or antyhing to suggest this.
As for that first one with the building warping around, why don't you just place a roof over the final maze area? The maze area is the only place where you can see this graphical glitch, anyway. Out of sight, out of mind.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

IDK if it was the new code base, the fact I had steam off, or what...but i had no end level crashes.

and I dont think the E2M1 elevator thing is a bug...its not supposed to be used to go up, but to go down, but if we wanna keep to the old standard, then....

Manny Cav

Quote from: Atariangamer on June 26, 2009, 06:22:59 PM
and I dont think the E2M1 elevator thing is a bug...its not supposed to be used to go up, but to go down, but if we wanna keep to the old standard, then....
I know. I'm not referring to the fact that it can't be used only on one side. I'm referring to the fact that it can be used only once from any side. Once it's used once, it can't be used again.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

totally not the mess over a point...but if you do it right, you should only need to do it once...to get down.

Datra

Not exactly a huge bug. But I've noticed (in E1M3 and E1M4) that some of the doors don't close again once they're opened.
CQHD Community Dev