Bugs In Chex Quest 3

Started by arch129, September 08, 2008, 11:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

damien

The vanishing sound effect for the Super Cycloptis and the Flemoidus Maximus are the same as the original Flembrane sound effect.  This would be fine, except that the at end of the effect is what sounds like a beckon from the slimed cereal people in the Caverns.  This has a good effect for zorching the Flembrane, but makes absolutely no sense for other flemoids.

Also I noticed two typos in the readme, "suprised" instead of "surprised" and "similiar" instead of "similar".

In E1M4 there are two Supercharge Breakfasts that weren't in the original game.  The first is, beyond the blue door, in the small closet-like room with two Bipedici.  In the original game there was a Zorchpack there instead.  The other is in the large room adjacent to the maze, and I think it was probably a bowl of vegetables or something in the original.  (I don't see how these discrepancies could have arisen, but nonetheless there they are.)

Also in E1M4, when I walk down the stairs to the bottom and turn left to get the bowl of veggies, it tells me I found a secret area.

Manny Cav

The breakfast replacements actually happened in the scifience version. I speculate that TUCQ Phase I was an edit off of the scifience version, and since Chex Quest 3 used TUCQ Phase I was a base form putting in the two original games, the changes in the scifience version carried over.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Zorchdude

This is a bug caused by the radius of the key JUST exceeding that pole's radius.
Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, BRAIN!
Narf.

The Slimeinator

I found three issues in the latest version, plus what Zorchdude pointed out.

First of all, (this isn't really a bug, it's more of a request) perhaps skill difficulties could be implemented? Other than the hard-coded stuff.

Secondly, I observed that when you pick up a Flem Key, in the upper right "Key Inventory" section, it displays a Chex key rather than a Flem key.

|
                                                                                                                              |
                                                                                                                              V

Thirdly, there is a texture problem in E3M4.

Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Replica

There is also a texture problem to the left on the cabin.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

damien

E3M1. Drop from here and you're stuck, because it's the opposite side of a wrap-around that you can't get to otherwise.

E2M1 The top of the texture is missing.

E1M2 The texture under the door's wrong.  (This isn't the case in the parallel on the other side of the map, though.)  This occurs in other places in this level too.

E2M4 The picture on the left is CQ3, the one on the right is TUCQ.  This is one of the few TUCQ things that I think would make a nice addition to CQ3.  It's a more gradual introduction to the fact that you're heading into the sewers.

Enjay

Something that might be useful: if you type idmypos at the game screen before taking your screenshot, your coordinates in the map will be displayed on screen.  This might help when people want to track down the exact location of the problem.

Oh, and a technical point relating to the "radius" of the key problem that people might be interested in:  Although the property is referred to as "radius", and many editors show them as round, objects in Doom are not round, but square, when viewed from above.  If you type "am_cheat 3" at the console and look at the automap, you will get an advanced version of the IDDT cheat that shows the size and shape of the things in the map.

Batmanifestdestiny

E2M5, in the last part of the sewer (the big circular room with the maximi) there's one step with the wrong texture.

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!

arch129

In E1M3 the door is a gray texture, and may I sugest I diffrent ceiling texture, that always anoyed me in the orignal Chex Quest.

In E1M4 the vent and arboretum logo textuers don't match the walls, I think changeing the wall texture will look better and I would like there to be sky in the level besides a carpet for the ceiling.

In E1M5 the Flembrane looks darker than the normal slime and the ceiling is cliping into his head.

In E2M5 a step is incorect like Batmanifestdestiny said.

In E2M5 I think that that platform is no longer needed.

In E3M2 theres a small texture offset problem.

E3M2: This one is more of a sugestion. I don't think you should have the switch in the secret room in the bookcase. Normaly levels don't require you to find a secret to win a level.

damien

The problem with the Flembrane is that for some reason he is a little in front of where he was in the original game.  I'm guessing this is because in TUCQ the Flembrane was removed, so then in Chex3 he was put back in but not lined up quite right.  The coordinates he should have are X 3456 by Y 4440.  Once he is moved to those coordinates, he lines up right.  Then he actually looks like he's part of the slime-wall, rather than looking like a flat thing sitting incongruently in front of the wall.  It makes a world of difference.
And about the color thing, I never noticed it.  Maybe it's only noticeable in OpenGL mode?  (GL mode doesn't work in GZDoom on my computer.)

arch129

Quote from: damien on November 19, 2008, 07:39:08 PM
And about the color thing, I never noticed it.  Maybe it's only noticeable in OpenGL mode?  (GL mode doesn't work in GZDoom on my computer.)

Its the sector, its darker so it makes the flembrane look darker than the slime on the walls next to him.

Manny Cav

As of the latest version, the mikekoenigs and scottholman cheats are still reversed. In the original, mikekoenigs provided ammo and said "Zorch Added," and scottholman provided ammo and keys and said "Super Zorch Added." However, in Chex Quest 3, those two cheats are reversed and do each others' jobs.

Also, I'd like to point out another issue that has remained unfixed:
Quote from: damien on October 09, 2008, 06:18:39 PM
In E1M4 there are two Supercharge Breakfasts that weren't in the original game.  The first is, beyond the blue door, in the small closet-like room with two Bipedici.  In the original game there was a Zorchpack there instead.  The other is in the large room adjacent to the maze, and I think it was probably a bowl of vegetables or something in the original.  (I don't see how these discrepancies could have arisen, but nonetheless there they are.)
The breakfast behind the door with the two Bipedici was a Zorchpak in the original, and the one in the large room with the Flemoids was a Zorch Propulsor Pack in the original.

Also, as The Slimeinator pointed out, the HUD displays a plain key when you pickup a Flemkey instead of an actual Flemkey.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

wildgoose

I am playing Chex for the first time (in coop mode). Hit a problem with player2 start missing in the following map:

- e1m3, e1m4

- e2m3, e2m4, e2m5

Can we please fix this simple error? Thanks!

matthias720

Quote from: Official Board Rules
3.  Bumping veteran topics (topics where 60 days have passed since the last post) is not allowed.  Fan Projects, Forum Games, and Off Topic Discussions are exempt from this rule.

Please read the board rules first, and then introduce yourself in the Introduction section.  Thanks.
:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware

TheMasterOfBattle

Matthias, this is a stickied topic and is therefore exempt from that rule. ;)

Forgotten I may be, my legend will live on.