Bugs In Chex Quest 3

Started by arch129, September 08, 2008, 11:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manny Cav

I found yet another little boo boo for E3M5. The graphics file WILV24 says that the level name is METEOR SPACESHIP, but LANGUAGE says this in line 60: HUSTR_E3M5 = "E3M5: Meteor Spacecraft";. These two names need to be reconciled.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

I'd say "Spacecraft." It sounds better, imo.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

The Slimeinator

Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Manny Cav

Another boo boo: The first area with a Computer Area Map in E1M3 was mangled in a fashion similar to the E1M1 area. The area should be a single secret area (as per the original chex.wad), but there are actually two secret areas.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Manny Cav

I found another curiosity that's been present since the original WAD. In E1M5, approaching the waterfall in the shortcut to the Flembrane and using it as a door triggers a door effect, but I can't find the door that it's trying to rise. Is there something weird here that I'm not getting?

EDIT: Some more E1M5 problems. Two hidden Flemoid "caches" don't work properly because of 'clipped things,' making seven Flemoids unable to be zorched without cheating. There is a Cycloptis and four Commoni near IDMYPOS X: 1354, Y: -33, Z: 64, and two Commoni at X: 872, Y: 305, Z: 320.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

TrueDude

Quote from: Manny Cav on April 27, 2009, 01:54:53 PM
I found yet another little boo boo for E3M5. The graphics file WILV24 says that the level name is METEOR SPACESHIP, but LANGUAGE says this in line 60: HUSTR_E3M5 = "E3M5: Meteor Spacecraft";. These two names need to be reconciled.

You know, I think a level of the original DooM II did this too, like it was called 'O' of Destruction! on some parts but was another name on the actual names and stuff.

Manny Cav

You're right. It's MAP11: Circle of Death.

EDIT: E2M3: The door that reveals the LAZ Device, bowl of vegetables, and two Quadrumpi is faulty. It closes, but the one in the original CHEX2.WAD doesn't.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Manny Cav

E1M1: There's a controversial exit at around IDMYPOS at X: -819 and Y: -908. Opening the large hanger door and using the left edge activates a secret exit.

EDIT: E3M2: Past the yellow key door, the walkway, and the two mini zorch packs, there are two black doors. The second one is a one-time use door on both sides.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Manny Cav

E3M3: The secret door next to the Mona List painting that leads to the LAZ Device and phasing zorcher pack is one-time use on the side with the painting.

I have the rest of E3M3 and the next two levels to go in my walkthrough, so this scavenger hunt will be ending soon.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Manny Cav

I have finished the main part of my walkthrough and will present the conclusion of my scavenger hunt.

• The "mikekoenigs" and "scottholman" cheats are reversed. I know you stated that you're aware of this. I'm just putting this up for future reference.
  • The "sherrill" cheat doesn't seem to work, though that's one of them things you need to edit the source code for.
  • The Flemkeys have the same HUD icons as the regular keys.
  • The "mikekoenigs" cheat also messes up the HUD bar. There are "combination icons" for having both color Keys, but since you didn't replace them, we get to see ZDoom's key cards and skull keys.
  • E1M1: There's a controversial exit at around IDMYPOS at X: -819 and Y: -908. Opening the large hanger door and using the left edge activates a secret exit.
  • E1M1: The area with the Rapid Zorcher has been made into two separate secret areas when it should be a single secret area.
  • E1M3: The first area with a Computer Area Map has been messed up like the E1M1 area--the room should be a single secret area, not two.
  • E1M5: The waterfall in the shortcut to the Flembrane acts like a door.
  • E1M5: Two hidden Flemoid "caches" don't work properly because of 'clipped things,' making seven Flemoids unable to be zorched without cheating. There is a Cycloptis and four Commoni near IDMYPOS X: 1354, Y: -33, Z: 64, and two Commoni at X: 872, Y: 305, Z: 320.
  • E2M3: The door that reveals the LAZ Device, bowl of vegetables, and two Quadrumpi is faulty. It closes, but the one in the original CHEX2.WAD doesn't.
  • E3M2: Past the yellow key door, the walkway, and the two mini zorch packs, there are two black doors. The second one is a one-time use door on both sides.
  • E3M3: The secret door next to the Mona List painting that leads to the LAZ Device and phasing zorcher pack is one-time use on the side with the painting.
  • E3M4: The small bridge at IDMYPOS X: -2940, Y: -2493, Z: 250 has a minor texture error. The left and right sides where the water passes through are aligned differently, making for an odd bridge.
  • E3M4: There's a "clipped" Larva near the bowl of vegetables.
  • E3M5: The door leading to the yellow flemkey opens at different speeds, depending on which side you open it on. The doors past the blue and red key doors also do the same thing. This may be a thing affected all doors that can be opened with a switch on one side, and with a regular use on the other side.
  • E3M5: There's an unusually dark wall just beyond the yellow key door. I've seen more of these, but I'm not sure how many, if any, are deliberate.
  • E3M5: The door leading to the Flem Mines near the red key has "slippery sides" that open with it.
  • E3M5: The red flemkey doesn't seen obtainable without jumping.
  • E3M5: It's also possible to get stuck with the red flemkey, because both doors are one-time use on the ends leading out.
  • E3M5: The graphics file WILV24 says that the level name is METEOR SPACESHIP, but LANGUAGE says this in line 60: HUSTR_E3M5 = "E3M5: Meteor Spacecraft";. These two names need to be reconciled.
  • Player Deathmatch starts would be nice.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Chukker

This is great! Thanks for your thorough playthrough and for compiling all these issues in one post. I should get to most of this shortly and drop a new version.

Manny Cav

Not a Chex Quest 3 bug per se, but the source at http://www.chucktropolis.com/downloads/chex3_zdoom.zip seems to have a few hiccups. WinRAR spat out this:
Quote from: WinRAR: Diagnostic messages
!   C:\chex3_zdoom.zip: CRC failed in chex3_zdoom\chex3.ncb. The file is corrupt
!   C:\chex3_zdoom.zip: CRC failed in chex3_zdoom\src\p_lights.cpp. The file is corrupt
!   C:\chex3_zdoom.zip: CRC failed in chex3_zdoom\tools\fmodapi375win\documentation\FMOD.chm. The file is corrupt
The standard Windows Extractor did an even worse job extracting the stuff, stopping as soon as it got any errors.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

The Slimeinator

Quote from: Manny Cav on May 02, 2009, 02:57:39 PM
  • E3M5: The red flemkey doesn't seen obtainable without jumping.

If you press the Use key on the sides of the platform the red key is on, the platform will lower.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Manny Cav

Yeah, I found that out too late....

Anyway, I made a small run through the new version to see what was fixed, as well as if anything new got broke. I also took a hint from all of the secret area work that was done. This is what I came up with.

• E1M3: There's a second Computer Area Map in the yellow key door path, but it's on a damaging sector similar to the one that used to be in E2M5 that appears to be an ordinary floor.
  • E1M4: There's a hidden door near the Zorchpak in the area where the first vent goes to. In the original game, this door is a regular plain metal door like you see throughout the game, but it was altered in the "Scifience" version upon which TUCQ Phase I, and subsequently Chex Quest 3, was based.
  • E1M4: There's a secret area near the blue key with a Super Chex armor. It's concealed by an invisible wall (a practice which I abhor, since all secrets should be marked by something unusual on the wall). In the original chex.wad, a vent actually goes to the secret.
  • E2M1: The cook in the diner from the original Chex Quest 3 isn't there.
  • E2M4: There's a Zorchpak in a secret area around IDMYPOS X: 464, Y: 431 that can be obtained by either walking through an invisible wall around the large zorcher pack at gound level, or by going through an invisible wall near the yellow key at the top of the building, but both ways involve invisible walls.
  • E2M4: At around IDMYPOS X: -1262, Y: 554, Z: 128 there's a window that 'floats' around.
  • E2M4: There's another invisible wall near the red key door that leads to a Zorch Propulsor near a secret area. Again, invisible walls don't make for good secrets, since there's nothing there to hint to a secret, like an object on the wall, or a misaligned texture.
  • E2M5: There's a hidden door near the yellow key that's just there. It neither looks like a door, nor has anything to suggest that it's a secret.
  • E2M5: There's a hidden lift at around X: 111, Y: -2288, Z: 30. The bottom entrance is marked with misaligned textures on both sides, but the upper entrance isn't marked with anything on either side.
  • E2M5: The secret area with a Zorchpak inside the yellow key maze has no markings or whatever on the door.
  • E3M2: The elevator in the secret vent leading to a Supercharge Breakfast is uncooperative. It will often not work because the user doesn't step inside fast enough.
  • E3M4: The switch that opens the door to the red key does something strange--it flips back to the lock position like it can be used again, but it can't.
  • E3M5: The door leading to the yellow flemkey opens at different speeds, depending on which side you open it on.
  • E3M5: At X: -2474, Y: 2195, Z: 300, a door has it's left track is aligned differently than it's right track.
  • STKEYS3-8 have pixel offsets one pixel too low, causing some of them to get clipped at the bottom.
  • STKEYS3-5 have useless pixel data on the first two image lines, causing them to be pushed too far to the right.
  • The "mikekoenigs" and "scottholman" cheats are reversed.
  • The "sherrill" cheat doesn't seem to work.
  • All of the maps are either lacking Player Deathmatch starts, or have none at all. If you compare the chex3.wad E1M1, E1M2, E1M3, E1M4, and E1M5 to their regular chex.wad counterparts, you'll see good suggestions for those maps where more Player Deathmatch starts can be imported from. Even though the chex3.wad E1M1 and E1M2 have plenty of Player Deathmatch starts, they're still missing some locations from the chex.wad counterparts. The other maps only have one, or none at all. Four Player Deathmatch starts is a minimum number for playability, though the more, the merrier.
  • A replacement for the IFOG series of spirtes is needed. The IFOG series is what appears when an item respawns in multiplayer.
  • Not a Chex Quest 3 bug per se, but the source at http://www.chucktropolis.com/downloads/chex3_zdoom.zip seems to have a few hiccups. WinRAR and 7-Zip spat out this:
    Quote from: WinRAR: Diagnostic messages
    !   C:\chex3_zdoom.zip: CRC failed in chex3_zdoom\chex3.ncb. The file is corrupt
    !   C:\chex3_zdoom.zip: CRC failed in chex3_zdoom\src\p_lights.cpp. The file is corrupt
    !   C:\chex3_zdoom.zip: CRC failed in chex3_zdoom\tools\fmodapi375win\documentation\FMOD.chm. The file is corrupt
    The standard Windows Extractor did an even worse job extracting the stuff, stopping as soon as it got any errors.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

xbolt

Quote from: Manny Cav on May 03, 2009, 05:45:16 PM
E1M3: There's a second Computer Area Map in the yellow key door path, but it's on a damaging sector similar to the one that used to be in E2M5 that appears to be an ordinary floor.

That's there in the original game, isn't it?