So...how'd u get here?

Started by Atariangamer, April 03, 2008, 05:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atariangamer

I'd like to try this...me and TGA thought it would be interesting. Heres the 100,000$ question:

How did you get Chex Quest, what did you do, and how did you get to the CQFF?

I have a good story, just trying to remember some pieces...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Manny Cav

Are you and The Green Avenger collaborating? :D

How did you get Chex Quest?
Chex cereal back when it was first released.

What did you do?
That's a very vague question. I might as well to say "I took a bath", or "I ate my supper".

How did you get to the CQFF?
While searching for Chex Quest 2 after getting an internet connection for the first time in 2003-ish or thereabouts. I became a longtime lurker of the old site, downloading the latest versions of my favorite Chex Quest mods.  I joined at the old board in May of 2007, and transferred here when the disaster hit there.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

The Green Avenger

How did you get Chex Quest?: Off the internet in early 2004.  My only prior knowledge of it was from watching a friend play it after it was first released.  I have never seen an actual Chex Quest CD.  My friend played it, but I never saw the CD.  :D  Then, in 2004, my older brother and I were bored, and somehow he remembered the name of Chex Quest.  We downloaded it.  Since then, my brother's left, and I found out that we'd downloaded the SciFience version.  Due to the bugs they created during the Legacy port, I didn't play the Caverns of Bazoik until January, 2006.  A 'Signal Handler: Segment violation();' always kept me from playing it. 

What did you do?: Seriously, dude, whatevuh!

How did you get to the CQFF?: After getting a computer capable of running TUCQ for the first time, I went to try to join Boingo the Clown's personal forums.  Something went wrong, but I still wanted to be in some forum related to Chex Quest.  So, I Googled it.  Found the old place, looked around, and joined in late 2005.
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

Replica

1.It started for me when my mother bought a box of cereal.

2.I played it

3. One day in january 2007, I woke up one day and remembered my favorate first person shooter. My bother then told me "You know there was a Chex Quest 2?" so went and downloaded it form boingos site. Played it, then my brother downloaded the full set up of TUCQ! We played Doomu.wad the whole way through. Then i download doom builder! (Please note that I wasn't very good at maping when I first began CQ3. ask Lucius) Now then, soon learning that Boingo didn't make the Doomu.wad, and found out he was makeing another mod, i made pic's of flemoids that i thought would be exceptibal to replace some flemoids. I then found this place, and in April tenth, 07 i joined the old board. @ Manny you joined May 10th. Because i seen you joined a month after me.

Edit = I could post the flemoids if you like.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Atariangamer

Okay,
How did you get Chex Quest? Well, I had heard about it (I was very young in 1996-97) from some of my friends. When I tried to get a box, though, they had stopped circulating the CD ones. I went to a friends house to play a bit. I forgot all about it till another friend got me DooM shareware in 2005. I said, "this looks just like Chex Quest!". I then remembered it and google searched it. I found the Scifience Studio's version and mucked about till I noticed the CQ2 addon. I was like "WTF? a 2nd one?" I played and was once again attached to it. I just played with that and made my first map in 2006. After awhile, I found the Wiki and got the 10th anniversary wad by xbolt. However, it didn't work in Scifience's version. I went to xbolt's talk page for help. He kinda guided me through things I should get, then hosted my first maps. (recived to little applause)

What did you do? (c'mon doods...srsly) I played it some, then I started modding it. This led to my comming here.

How did you get to the CQFF?I was kinda angry that people were slamming my first maps ever so hard, so I asked xbolt for some help making a forum account at the InvisionFree board. He and Richie made a Yahoo Mail address and an account for me. I was then an active member of the CQFF, and was till it died on us. I then transfered here, and have been here ever since.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

xbolt

How did you get Chex Quest? My grandparents got it in their box of Chex cereal, and gave it to us.

What did you do? I had my dad play it. I was scared of the Flemoids. (Heh.)

How did you get to the CQFF? In 2005, I found my old CQ disc, and decided to play it. Then I went online and found TUCQ. And I followed the link on Boingo's site to the old forums, where I lurked for several months before joinning and releasing the original newmaps.wad. And I've stuck around ever since.

Loremaster

How did you get into Chex Quest? Heh, back in the day my Grandma gave me the CD she got in Grandpa's cereal. I loved that game so much, as it was my very first action game. I played that game intensely, and I remember that back in the day it took me quite a while to beat those 5 levels. I remember it was actually a little scary back then [the Storage Facility always had me jumping at a few points].

What did you do? Well, I played the bleeding thing! *laughs* In all seriousness, I played it, played the sequel, did a couple of so-so levels, made a website, etc etc etc.

How did you become involved in the CQFF? Well, way back in the beginning of this millennium, I was surfing the net at my mother's work, and idly decided to Google Chex Quest. Lo and Behold, the original Chexmania site came up, and via a chain of hyperlinks, I eventually found my way here. I lurked, posted as a guest for a while [back when that was allowed], then eventually registered as Loremaster. The rest, as they say, is history. No, literally, go read the History of the Chex Quest Fan Forums, it's in there.
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Richie

In a cereal box, of course.

What did you do?

I played it through over and over again for years.

Chex Quest Mania (http://chexmania.tripod.com/) was, at one time, the central place for the Chex Quest Community.  There was a message board, a chat room, and a devoted base of fans.  Funny thing is - there's only two original people here (as far as I know)!  Those people are iTim and myself.  Eventually, the site died down and the owner shut down the message board.  That's when I started CQFF.

Dvader0086

How did u get Chex Quest?

I got it in a box like everyone else...

What did u do?

Took it with me on a trip to as our windows 95 computer was in the shop... then played it when we came back...

How did you get to the CQFF

Did a search in 2004 found it and came to the old board, joined and posted once and then did not post for a year or two... After I started posting again I became a regular and moved when the crash hit...

The Slimeinator

1. I got it in a cereal box.

2. I played it like there was no tomorrow 'cuz it was fun. Then, I downloaded DooM Builder last August and quadrupled the amount of Flemoids in the original Chex Quest.

3. I made my Chex Quest website. It had a forum in it. Replica told me that if I joined the CQFF, I would get more hits (duh!). So I joined and moved when the crash hit.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Dacicus

From the Chex cereal box

What did you do?
IIRC, my family had a 486 at the time with no CD-ROM drive, so I wasn't able to actually play the game for a while. We eventually upgraded the computer (not because of CQ), which solved that problem.

I found the Chex Quest Mania site through a web search and checked it periodically for updates. There weren't too many of those by the time I found it, though. I might have found out about the CQFF through that site, but it's also possible that I got here through Richie's RotCW site.

arch129

The Chex cereal box  ;D

What did you do?
I played it, Alot.

I found The Ultamate Chex Quest site after Googleing Chex Quest and found the link to here.
I didn't join at first but after a while I joined little before the big board crash from the old board.

ChexCommander

Duh, the box of cereal.  Amazing, huh?

What did you do?
Well, let's see, I ate some Chex, installed the game, played it a couple times, threw it in the CD rack for 10 years, and finally played it again.

Come on, people, it is called chexquest.org, I was bound to find it someday.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

brain candy

Via a cereal box back when it was first released. I was not accustomed to getting such cool things in a cereal box, let alone from a non-sugary, non-cartoony, one. Luckily, since it wasn't one of the crap cereals, my Dad let me get it. The Chex was yum too.  ;)

What did you do?
Played it. A ton. This was the first action game that was mine. I had watched a neighbor kid play Doom since I was really little, but had never had a game of my own (shared Descent, SimTown and such with my brother). I remember it being a pretty challenging game, and somewhat scary at points too. My brother watched and got really into the story. Twas cute.

Wayc, who was prone to going on nostalgic trips into the past, found the community and the old board and introduced me to it. I had always wondered if Chex Quest had lived on at all, but had never gotten around to Googling it myself.

Manny Cav

Uh... that was necromancy. I'm feeling a little weird here. Mabey I ought not to lock it and see if anyone realizes what just happened here....
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010